Find the answer to your Linux question:
I used to have Ubuntu 5 on my laptop, and on the 3rd, i updated it to Ubuntu 6, but after the update, i noticed in gpartition that i had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu 6 update partition bug?

I used to have Ubuntu 5 on my laptop, and on the 3rd, i updated it to Ubuntu 6, but after the update, i noticed in gpartition that i had 2 partitions

hda1 = 50 mb for /
    hdb2 = 19 gb which is unformatted

ive checked the disk under cfdisk, and it gave me the same report that hdb2 is unformatted.

the odd part is that... I have more then 10gb in data on that laptop :o

it used to be just one big HDD that was an ext3 for ubuntu, and now it happens to be unformatted, and yet still usable...

odd huh?

is there Umm... something i can do to get it to normal? (i dont want to reformat it, because im 100% sure that my 10gb of data is in that 19gb "unformatted" partition)

Quote Originally Posted by weeneedhelp
    because im 100% sure that my 10gb of data is in that 19gb "unformatted" partition)
    If so, you can just manualy re-write the partition table, using a LiveCD (Ubuntu for example) and "cfdisk". You can just mark that "hdb2" partition as "linux" partition (#82 I think) -- don't forget to [ Write ] the changes -- and reboot. If there is any data on it you'll see it (in ext3).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee