Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been looking for Configuration Editor and found out Applications/System Tools is missing. How odd is that? Is there something I haven't done during install? Ubuntu 6.06...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

missing system tools

I've been looking for Configuration Editor and found out Applications/System Tools is missing. How odd is that? Is there something I haven't done during install?
    Ubuntu 6.06

You can install "Configuration Editor" like that :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gconf-editor
    And the whole "System Tools" like that :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

already installed

Everything is installed. It didn't install/upgrade anything extra. Very odd I have no Configuration Editor. Could it be it just wasn't added to my Applications Menu?

Quote Originally Posted by dapperone
    Everything is installed.
    In the mean time you can just start "Configuration Editor" from the terminal :
    Code:
    gconf-editor
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Thumbs up great was reading...

Thank you. I was reading about that just now but wasn't sure how to get to it. You have patience antidrugue.
    [update] the gconf-editor let's me view but not edit anything. I'll do some more research.

Argyle! Still missing.

The more I read the stranger this seems. Everyone has System Tools and I don't. The gconf is installed but it's not under Applications. When I run gconf it shows menus of my system but won't let me configure anything.
    I hope I don't have to reinstall Ubuntu, it's a long process if you include updating. I wouldn't worry about it but I'd like to configure a few things like wallpapers and some other things.
    I have a theory as to why I don't have system tools. After fully installing Ubuntu I did an update through synaptic BEFORE upgrading to 6.06. My install CD is 5.10. Since Linux distros seem to be picky about this sort of thing maybe it got confused or something.
    I noticed after synaptic updated it got rid of some older packages which I assumed was because I upgraded to 6.06.
    Just a theory I have.

Quote Originally Posted by dapperone
    I have a theory as to why I don't have system tools. After fully installing Ubuntu I did an update through synaptic BEFORE upgrading to 6.06. My install CD is 5.10. Since Linux distros seem to be picky about this sort of thing maybe it got confused or something.
    I noticed after synaptic updated it got rid of some older packages which I assumed was because I upgraded to 6.06.
    Just a theory I have.
    Yop, that could be related. Maybe the upgrade didn't go well. If you want to make sure everything is OK, the best way is to do a clean install using the 6.06 CD.

In the mean time, maybe, it is possible to your user is not part of the right groups. Type :
    Code:
    groups
    in the terminal and make sure you are part of the "admin" group.

-Bruce Lee

waiting for the CD

Since my system is running ok so far (other than missing system tools) I'm waiting for an Ubuntu 6.06 CD to arrive in the mail. I usually burn my own distros but the last one (Kubuntu) shattered my confidence in burnt ISO's. It stopped installation 1/4 of the way through installation so I tossed it in the trash. It's nice to have an official CD to play with.
    I assume I can save/export bookmarks and emails to a flash memory stick? That way I'll have them ready.

Just Joined!
    Hello, to the community! I have the same problem with System Tools... They are not here!!! I've checked some applications that have to be under System Tools and they are installed... My ubuntu version is 6.06...
    Any progress to this problem??

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perarg
    Hello, to the community! I have the same problem with System Tools... They are not here!!! I've checked some applications that have to be under System Tools and they are installed... My ubuntu version is 6.06...
    Any progress to this problem??
    type alacarte in gnome-terminal. alacarte menu configurator will start. You will see System Tool under Applications. Just go there and check the Configuration Editor. That will be ok.