Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I have installed ubuntu off the alt CD on my dimension 2350 with FX5200 vid card. When I start it up it freezes at the loading hardware drivers splashscreen. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu startup problems

Hello

I have installed ubuntu off the alt CD on my dimension 2350 with FX5200 vid card. When I start it up it freezes at the loading hardware drivers splashscreen. When I add noapic, I get a Kernel not syncing error, then it freezes (can't do ctrl c). I try to boot on the ubuntu live cd, but I get the same error booting off the live cd.

I tried to get help from someone on alpha.qunu.com and we spent a while to see if I had everything installed correctly, ie correct cd and all that. He said that everything was correct but was a problem with my hardware.

I have read around the forms and have seen others having the same problem with the 2350 Dimension and FX5200 but have not seen a fix. Can anyone help me with my problem (I am a newbie at linux so I don't understand all the technical terms yet but am willing to learn)

Thanks
    Kevin

Just Joined!

update

Update

I tried enabling the onboard video card and starting the machine with that instead of the FX5200 vid card. It boots except X11 isn't configured correctly.

So I booted in recovery mode and got to the command prompt. Now I need help with configuring xorg at the command prompt. I don't know how to paste the contents in it since I can't save it anywhere (or don't know how).

Can I get some help with this?

Thanks