Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm brand new to Linux, just started using it a couple weeks ago. So far it's been smooth sailing, but last night I let synaptic install 83 updates, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My whole freaking system won't boot

Hi, I'm brand new to Linux, just started using it a couple weeks ago. So far it's been smooth sailing, but last night I let synaptic install 83 updates, and when I rebooted this morning....it won't boot. It gives me the "Ok, doing whatever..." and then sits there. I let it sit for three hours. Nothing. Recovery mode does the same thing.

I assume this is because of the updates, but then shouldn't someone somewhere be having the same problem? How do I figure out what's going on and undo it?

Hit F2 to go into verbose mode on boot, and take note of what the last message is before it decides to get stuck. Let us know and it'll be easier to help you.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

It can be that it is a service that stalls when activated. As said, boot in verbose mode. If it is a not-so-important service that causes the stalling, then you can go into interavtive booting (hitting "i") in verbose boot mode before the service-startup section begins (it will show you when you have to hit "i") and disable the service permanently or hope that there is already a patch for the patch available.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984