Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had to reinstall Ubuntu 6.06 (64bit) because it wouldn't boot when I replaced my other drives, and didn't know how to modify grub etc to make it work. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Reinstalled 6.06 and now have some problems

I had to reinstall Ubuntu 6.06 (64bit) because it wouldn't boot when I replaced my other drives, and didn't know how to modify grub etc to make it work.

I now have the following issues, but everything was fine before I had to reinstall.

Nvidia 6800GT
    I've reinstalled the nvidia-glx and enabled it, I get 3d graphics now without any problems, but when checking dmesg it reports that the nvidia taints the kernel. What does this actually mean.

Freecom DVB-T
    I had this previously working as well, and managed to get it to work once since the re-install but now not loading the firmware. I've placed the firmware file in both kernel directories (the old one and the updated one I got after Ubuntu updated itself). I have installed all w32 codecs and also used Automatix.

Grub
    On the new install I need to edit the boot descriptions for my drives, as I have multiple drives and it is giving the wrong description for some of them so I want to change so shows correct details. How do I do this

Install DVD
    The synaptic software and also apt-get update keeps reporting that the installation dvd is not correct, but I can go back in and re-add it and its then ok, but getting multiple entries in my sources list.

Printer
    I have a hp-693c printer attached to a netgear printserver. If I set this up using cups and point it to the ip address I can print a single test sheet, but then nothing else. None of the other options work.

Any help on this is appreciated - and simple instructions on how to fix as not that brilliant with linux

regards
    walkerx

Just Joined!
    The grub details are in /boot/grub/menu.lst
    As for the DVD, you could just forget about it and use online sources. That way you get the latest packages too.

Just Joined!
    I don't have much faith in linux's 64bit support. I know some programs (like flash) just don't work, and others need work arounds and stuff.

I could be wrong but from experience the 64bit version of ubuntu is less stable. I recommend installing the 386 version of ubuntu. It is deadly stable on my amd 2800+ and has ALL of the software I need. 64 bit is just a little too restrictive in the software sense at the moment, IMHO.

If you still get the above problem with the 386 version than i'm don't know how to help you

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I installed a 32-bit chroot, so I don't have any issues. But if it's any hassle 386 is the way to go, since 64-bit doesn't offer any advantages yet.

Just Joined!
    I've managed to get everything working except printer, but have same problem even if use 32bit versions of linux