Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 8 of 8
I tried to start up with the AMD64 6.06 version (live CD) but after the Ubuntu logo has gone away, the screen hangs on a small white arrow (cursor) and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    47

    AMD64 Version Crashes On Startup


    I tried to start up with the AMD64 6.06 version (live CD) but after the Ubuntu logo has gone away, the screen hangs on a small white arrow (cursor) and the same bit of sound plays over and over.

  2. #2
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Did you burn the CD from an ISO or order it?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    47
    I burned from an ISO but I did run the "check disc" utility first and it didn't report any problems - it didn't report success either, but not knowing what to expect, I figured that it having stopped reporting files as "OK", must mean that it's finished and everything is fine. I actually think this should be changed to remove the ambiguity as I don't really know for sure whether this means the CD is OK or not.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by username132
    I burned from an ISO but I did run the "check disc" utility first and it didn't report any problems - it didn't report success either, but not knowing what to expect, I figured that it having stopped reporting files as "OK", must mean that it's finished and everything is fine. I actually think this should be changed to remove the ambiguity as I don't really know for sure whether this means the CD is OK or not.
    Check the MD5Sum of the ISO file you downloaded to make sure it's not corrupt.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    47
    Yeah, the ISO is as it should be. The character strings match.

  7. #6
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by username132
    Yeah, the ISO is as it should be. The character strings match.
    At what speed did you burn it?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  8. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    At what speed did you burn it?
    I can't remember; usually it's around 24x - did the disc self-test I described sound abnormal?

  9. #8
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by username132
    I can't remember; usually it's around 24x - did the disc self-test I described sound abnormal?
    Try burning it at a much lower speed just to reduce the chance of burn errors. It is odd that the media check didn't give you an answer either way. Usually it's PASS or FAIL, but not nothing.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •