Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I'm an Australian user and since installing (the 32 bit version of) Ubuntu on my system, I'm getting an intermittent broadband connection issue. Occasionally (not always), after having ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Intermittent Internet/Broadband Issues

Hi all

I'm an Australian user and since installing (the 32 bit version of) Ubuntu on my system, I'm getting an intermittent broadband connection issue.

Occasionally (not always), after having booted up, I'll open Firefox and type in a url, however Ubuntu hasn't automatically connected to the internet.

I know the problem is software based as I dual boot to Windows and have no issues with it connecting to the web. Initially I tried the 64 bit version of Ubuntu (as I have an Athlon64) and this problem didn't occur at all under that installation, only now under the 32bit version has this problem started occurring.

To fix this problem every time it occurs, I'm going into Administration>Networking and selecting Ethernet Connection, deactivating it and then reactivating it which seems to solve the problem.

However come the next time I boot up, the problem will have reared its ugly head again! As the subject line states, its an intermittent problem so occasionally I'll boot up Ubuntu and connecting to the net won't be a problem.

I've searched the forums for other such scenarios however I couldn't find anything easy enough to follow.

Any assistance you guys could offer would be great!

It would help if we knew how you are connecting to the internet, i.e. what hardware you're using
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

Just Joined!
    Post the output from the following, it might indicate what the problem is:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/kern.log | grep eth0
    cat /var/log/kern.log.0 | grep eth0
    Use code tags when you post it.