Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed ubuntu on my hdd and wiped my hdd clean when installing it(my choice), because i wanted a dual boot system i decided to re-install windows xp, i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Xp after ububtu. Help!!

I recently installed ubuntu on my hdd and wiped my hdd clean when installing it(my choice), because i wanted a dual boot system i decided to re-install windows xp, i put the cd in and rebooted my comp and then tried to boot of the cd but i doesn't run and just boots to ubuntu, so i re-installed ubuntu leaving a partition and tried running the xp disk again but it wont run, anyone got any suggestions please.....

You will need to set the boot order in your BIOS so that it checks the CD-ROM drive for a bootable disk before the HDD.

Just Joined!
    First of all you probably need to install XP first. Trying to install Windows *after* Linux is installed is going to give you nothing more than a migraine.

Save yourself time and trouble and go install XP then install Ubuntu afterwards.

IO3

A fairly simple solution

Try to back-up all your data. Then change BIOS boot order to something like CD, A:, C:. After doing that insert your XP's CD-ROMS and reformat your hard-drive (if you can, an FAT or FAT32 file-system) and then install Ubuntu using the GRUB boot loader. Then restore your data that you backed up.

Rishi's right. If your harddrive is booting up first you have to change the settings in your BIOS. For doing a Windows install after a Linux install it would be nice to change which partition is bootable from a LiveCD to a partition that has a /boot directory. Off hand I don't know of any partition tool that can do that in Linux. I know there's no option within windows MMC to change which partition is bootable because Windows doesn't recognize Linux filesystems. Maybe partition Magic can do it because I believe it has support for Linux filesystems. Before anything back up all your information especially because I assume that you're using NTFS. NFTS can be a pain sometimes when it comes to Linux support. But by the way it looks you'll more than likely have to install Windows first then Linux second.