Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have searched a few forums, so I hope I am not repeating something too common here. I have my Kubuntu box connected via an ethernet cable to a Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Networking problem - help please !

I have searched a few forums, so I hope I am not repeating something too common here.

I have my Kubuntu box connected via an ethernet cable to a Windows XP box, which is itself connected to the internet.

I've been having real problems trying to get things configured to get my win box to be a relay for internet access for my linux box. Previously I couldn't get the internet connection working, but I could view a web page being hosted on my windows box when I started up apache on the windows box.

Now, however, after trying all sorts of config arrangements, I cannot even view the webpage. It's not windows firewall, I know that.

I think the issue may be to do with how my linux ethernet card is configured.

Below is an ifconfig output that I copied from another forum. It's clearly an adapter with an "inet addr". There's also "Bcast" and "Mask" to be seen.
    My ethernet adapter has "inet6 addr: fe80: :250:8dff:fe58:4001/64 Scope: Link" displayed instead of inet addr, bcast and mask.

Can anyone please help me out here ? Thanks in advance !!

$ /sbin/ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:20:CF:8B:42
    inet addr:217.149.127.10 Bcast:217.149.127.63 Mask:255.255.255.192
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:2472694671 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:44641779 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1761467179 (1679.8 Mb) TX bytes:2870928587 (2737.9 Mb)
    Interrupt:28

Just Joined!

more info

Can you give any more info, like why the linux box is connected through the windows box to the internet, and whether you are bridging connections, or using ethernet/crossover cables and what worked before, and what worked after.

hopefully i can help you better with more info

Just Joined!
    the linux box is connected via windows because the windows laptop I have has a built in wireless connection. I don't have a second wireless card for the linux box and it's not physically possible to hook up the linux box with a cable to my router (which is why I have wireless for the windows laptop).

I have only used a standard ethernet cable, no crossover cable (I thought most ethernet adapters were able to handle internally the crossover issue now, although I don't know how to configure my LAN connection in this respect - so maybe I am wrong, but my Broadcomm LAN card is only about a year old )

I have tried a combination of windows network bridge (between the LAN and WiFi adapters ) and also windows internet connection sharing. I have tried each combination of the two - but nothing seems to work.

Anything else I should try - or am I still not being specific enough for help to be given ?

Thanks for the help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok, I'm in no way an expert on these matters, but I'd say the problem is most likely with your cable. I would try with a cross-over cable, and if that doesn't solve the problem it would be a configuration issue on your windows box.

Your POV on the cable seems right though. A modern network card should be able to handle a standard cable. The other question i have is does this configuration work with windows installed on the laptop? Because if it works in a windows-windows environment I'd wager its an OS incompatibility, but if the network bridge still isn't working I'd go for incompatible hardware or an inappropriately configured bridge setup on the windows desktop.

I hope this can help