Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok ill admit, im a newbie and im going crazy. I had Xandros linux, but i could not stand it. So i switched to Kubuntu, and now im trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Horror installing LimeWire

Ok ill admit, im a newbie and im going crazy. I had Xandros linux, but i could not stand it. So i switched to Kubuntu, and now im trying to install LimeWire to no avail.

Heres the issues im running into.

Basically if i try to install the deb packag from the console i get this

Code:
     root@dustin-desktop:/home/dustin# ./limewire-free_4.12.3-0_i386.deb
    -su: ./limewire-free_4.12.3-0_i386.deb: Permission denied
    I could never access root by typing su i had to do a sudo su -

I tried

Code:
    chmod a+x jre-1_5_0-linux-i586-rpm.binlimewire-free_4.12.3-0_i386.deb
    and then tried to execute it and got this:

Code:
    ./limewire-free_4.12.3-0_i386.deb
    ./limewire-free_4.12.3-0_i386.deb: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
    ./limewire-free_4.12.3-0_i386.deb: line 1: `!<arch>'
    root@dustin-desktop:/home/dustin# ./limewire-free_4.12.3-0_i386.deb
    ./limewire-free_4.12.3-0_i386.deb: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
    ./limewire-free_4.12.3-0_i386.deb: line 1: `!<arch>'
    basically im at a standstill ive already converted and rpm file to a .deb file and it seems these debain files are difficult to install...
    if i double click them it tells me the Utility is not in my PATH....
    I read something about binutils, but that is also a .deb file and i am not understanding exactly what im doing wrong here

I even tried to execute limewire through a shortcut script and it gave me something about java not being installed, but i just got done installinge the latest jre from java.com with the instructions it gave me!?
    any help would be very much appreciated

Just Joined!
    First things first, you install .deb pacakges using the following command:

dpkg -i filename.deb Replacing filename with the exact name of the file of course.

Secondly here is some info straight from the bot in #Kubuntu that you should read and follow:

<ubotu> limewire is a popular P2P client running on the Gnutella network. To get it running, install !java first, then download Limewire from http://www.limewire.com/LimeWireSoftOther and finally run runLime.sh. Consider !FrostWire as an alternative.

<ubotu> java is an object oriented programming language. To install a java compiler/interpreter on Ubuntu, look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java For the runtime Sun Java install sun-java5-jre from the Multiverse repository

<ubotu> frostwire is a totally open source version of Limewire. For installation help, please see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FrostWire

Surely that will get you going. Good luck with limewire. I personally would have chosen something a bit better like gtk-gnutella which you can install with apt-get install. It's faster and much better IMO. Just my thoughts though.

Just Joined!
    thank ya so much for that info, you clarified alot of stuff out...

Ill update ya if anything goes wrong

Just Joined!

hey

im new at this i just got unbunu of what ever you call it and when ever i download anything it doesnt work like lime wire it says it cannot find it i am useing this archive manager i was wondering can i even get a diffrent one it seems to be holding me back from getting python and inevitably learning how to programm