Find the answer to your Linux question:
For those of you that don't know, I screwed up my boot.ini so the only selections that come up are corrupt versions of windows. So, I try and changed boot.ini ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing a drive from Read Only?

For those of you that don't know, I screwed up my boot.ini so the only selections that come up are corrupt versions of windows.

So, I try and changed boot.ini to what I want it to read, and go to try and save it, and delete the old one. However, It can't do either as the disk is read only:

So, I go to change the properties of the drive so I can write and execute files & such on it, but I encounter this error:

Basically, I either need a way to:

Make my main hard drive (/Hello) Writeable, or non-read only
    OR
    To be able to change and edit files on a read only drive..

Thanks in advance.

Is it an NTFS partition? If so, it's going to be read-only. That's the way it is.

Just Joined!
    But how come on my Windows I could delete, change and do whatever on the same, NTFS drive.

So you're sayiong there's no way to change my boot.ini file?

Quote Originally Posted by King_Bender
    But how come on my Windows I could delete, change and do whatever on the same, NTFS drive.

So you're sayiong there's no way to change my boot.ini file?
    how NTFS works is a secret of MS. It has be reversed engineered some. If you want to try write support, it is not perfect. Take a look at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lkraider/NtfsFuse
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    So How come I can edit & change files on windows, but not Linux? Weird..

Topic is basically closed, unless someone has another suggestions

(Thanks for the replies)

There are captive-NTFS and NTFS-FUSE projects to allow writing but it is still not 100%. I believe the latest Knoppix inclues it if you want to try downloading it
    It might be easier than trying to build it into Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Bender
    So How come I can edit & change files on windows, but not Linux? Weird.
    Vergil83 already explained it. NTFS code is closed source, and it has to be figured out through reverse engineering.

If Microsoft said, "Hey, everybody, take a look at our NTFS code. We're opening it up for compatibility's sake. In fact, we're going to get rid of the .doc file format and use .odt instead and encourage every partner we work with to use .ogg instead of .mp3," then these problems wouldn't exist.

It's a bit like saying, "Why can I eat that great pasta at that restaurant, but when I try to replicate the secret recipe at home it doesn't work?" Well, if the recipe wasn't a secret...

Just Joined!
    Bleh, damn MS >.>

I'll have a go at FUSE & such, hope it'll work as my Boot.ini is the only thing that's wrong.

Unless I could create a virtual drive on my Hard drive (parition), make it boot first to go to my windows OS, and then I could sort it all out on Windows? But I think that's out of my capabilities.