Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. First off, I'm a n00b with linux, I just started using Dapper Drake two or three days ago. I've got an amd64 architecture, so it makes me do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Error while moving...

Hello everyone. First off, I'm a n00b with linux, I just started using Dapper Drake two or three days ago. I've got an amd64 architecture, so it makes me do more just to make things "just work". Anyways, I've just went through the installation of 32-bit Firefox with Java and Flash. When I finished, I deleted the folders I had used on my Desktop. There is one folder that won't delete though. Its entitled "jre1.5.0_07" I used it during the installation of Java. When I try to delete it I get an "Error while moving" error window saying:

Cannot move "/home/miki...re1.5.0_07" to the trash because you do not have permissions to change it or its parent
    How did I lose permission to change this folder? How do I delete it? And whats this thing about "change it or its parent"? Will there be a side effect if I delete it?

I am so close to having a perfectly running distro without errors and such, but this appears... Agh... Help would be greatly appreciated!

ls -l (or right clicking in Nautilus and clicking Properties) will tell you the permission of a file. If you somehow lost write permission on your desktop, I think that would prevent you from deleting the file.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

It reads:

You are not the owner, so you cannot change these permissions.
    It also says that root owns the file...

Did I do something wrong with the installation for it to have done this?

Just Joined!
    Absolutely not! When you installed the software you probably used the command 'sudo' which executes commands as the root user (like the window Administrator). As the software was installed, certain components would have been extracted from the installer and left in your home directory. Since this was done with root user privileges these files don't actually belong to you, but the root user.

So hows to solve the problem? Well there are three ways, one easier than the other two.

The easiest way is to run, from a terminal, the command

Code:
    sudo nautilus
    This wil open a file browser with root user privileges, so you can locate ANY files and delete ANY files. beware in this mode, you may delete important files, so stick to your home directory. (You MIGHT, not always, note the icons look funny in this mode. The reasons are beyond scope of this post, but don't worry, everything is working alright).

There are other ways to delete the files, which involve more commandline work, so I recommend the reading the following articles for background info:

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/files.html

If this doesn't help you, just post back and I can try some different approaches. This just seemed like the easiest one to explain over a forum

Linux User
    Hi Miki01ZSR,
    There is a tutorial on file permissions right in the home page of Linux Forums in Linux security section : -

http://www.linuxforums.org/security/...rmissions.html

With Regards,
    Thinker

Those were good reads. I learned a lot. And the file is now gone ^^ Thanks a lot