Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I am brand new to using linux. Here is my hardware celeron d 3.06 ghz. (64 bit) 1 gig ram nvidia geforce 6200 by pny Here is my problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

x server failed to start( New to linux)

Hi I am brand new to using linux.

Here is my hardware

celeron d 3.06 ghz. (64 bit)
    1 gig ram
    nvidia geforce 6200 by pny

Here is my problem and since i am new to ubuntu i don't understand jack about what is going on.

I have tried to install ubuntu with both the 32 and 64 bit from a disk. When I restart the pc the ubuntu screen comes up and asks me to install. I choose start/install. the next thing that happens is a screen comes up with text (loading restricted drivers ... ok, etc) then I get a screen that says <Failed to start the x server would you like to view the x server output to diagnose the problem , yes, no.> I choose yes, it gives me a screen with a bunch of text and <Ok> next it says, <would you like to view the detailed x server output as well? , yes, no,>. I choose yes. More text comes up with <ok>. After this a new screen comes up with < x server is now disable. Restart GDM when it is configured correctly , ok, >. After this i get a command line with <ubuntu@ubuntu:~$>.

I have tried both the normal install, and the start in safe graphics mode install.

I don't know what to do can some one please help me?

try running
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and choose the nv driver. If you need the proprietary driver take a look at
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    try running
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and choose the nv driver. If you need the proprietary driver take a look at
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia
    My main problem is that i need to get ubuntu installed in the first place but i don't' know how to install it from the command line. ( i was hoping to install from the desktop like they advertised). The reason that i need to get ubuntu installed to the hard disk is so i can than restart the computer without reseting the, sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, settings. Is it not true that if you are running off the live cd that when i restart the computer it resets the settings? So i guess what i need is to know how to install ubuntu from the command line.

Just Joined!
    Ps. I am going to download the alternate version and try it.

ok, I see, I didn't read your first post very carefully. I thought you had already installed it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    ok, I see, I didn't read your first post very carefully. I thought you had already installed it.
    So do you think that i can install ubuntu using the alternate version or do you not know?

do you mean the server edition?

Yes you may have better luck with the "alternate CD" (formerly called "install CD"). Or even the "server CD", with which you could install a minimal system, and then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

I don't know if you can still give options at the ubuntu boot, but if you can do
    live-expert
    and select vesa for your x windows driver, it should work

Just Joined!
    I tried selecting versa and also vga for my video setup.

but when i tried to restart X (using various methods described to me on other forums) the command line displayed [starting gnome] or something similar, and to the right of that it said [failed] in red letters. So i will try to install using the alternate version as soon as it finishes downloading of my slow internet. I'll let you guys know if i can get it running from alternate install cd which i hope will let me install to the hard drive without the graphical interface. After it is acutally installed than i can try to mess with settings.

Another question: if i am using a 64 bit celeron d cpu, i should be using the 64 bit version of dapper drake, right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast