Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to move some of my files/documents from my old Windows XP computer into this one. Whenever I insert a disc into my drive and then open it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I/O Error + A Couple of Others

I am trying to move some of my files/documents from my old Windows XP computer into this one. Whenever I insert a disc into my drive and then open it up from the desktop, it looks like this (see image 2). What's causing this problem? When I insert the disc back into my other PC running XP, its fine. What I do is right-click on the CD icon on the desktop and goto Eject. Once the CD is ejected, I press the eject button on my CD drive to bring the disc back in. At this point, I can see the correct names and icons in the disc. But when I try to drag and drop a file from the CD to my dekstop (or anywhere, for that matter, it keeps bringing up an "I/O Error". It disappeared at one point and I was able to transfer files again, but now it came back... How do I go about fixing this blasted error for good?

I used Automatix in the past. That brought up many problems and errors. But they were later fixed up. I also installed firefox32 with the java/flash plugins, they had problems, but they were fixed as well.

But after that, Totem wouldn't play my DVDs anymore. So I was refered to use EasyUbuntu. After I used EasyUbuntu, some problems came back as well as the ones above...

Someone told me to just re-install 6.06, but I don't want to go through all that trouble again, I just want to fix this up.

Image 1
    Image 2

Is anyone there? Can anyone please help me?