Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm having a problem involving the Live CD loading on my laptop: HP Pavilion ze4200 256mb 1.6 GHz CD/DVD-ROM (Will tell anything else requested.) I commonly get errors involving ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Live CD Won't Load

Hi,

I'm having a problem involving the Live CD loading on my laptop:

HP Pavilion ze4200
    256mb
    1.6 GHz
    CD/DVD-ROM
    (Will tell anything else requested.)

I commonly get errors involving bad sectors on the media. However, I've burnt two different downloads from two different computers on different burners and none have worked. (Meaning... 4 different CD's, One download = 2 cd's on different burners/comps).

What really stumps me is that I know that at least one works... I used it to install the Ubuntu OS I'm writing this post in right now.

Other times... it just won't load.
    It stops at the "Uncompressing Linux... ..." area... and I have to shut it off.
    Other times it doesn't even get that far...

Any advice???

Also - if you want more details about any particular thing. Let me know and I'll willingly comply.

Did you make sure the md5sum of the CD you downloaded was identical to the one mentionned on the site you downloaded the CD image? Also, you should burn the CD at a very low burning speed (4x).
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/kno...blocksize.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

This time I have to agree with antidrugue, check the md5sum. If you have burnt a lot of cds before without trouble then it's probably the download. Also, instead of using the LiveCD option use the text mode option. It helps out with some compatibility issues.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Alternate ISO

If you have not yet done so:

Download and burn the Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 alternate ISO.

Regards