Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Friends, I have a dvd writer connected to the seconday master and a dvd rom drive connected to the secondary slave. My problem is that when I put any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy DVD Drive Problem.

Hi Friends,

I have a dvd writer connected to the seconday master and a dvd rom drive connected to the secondary slave.

My problem is that when I put any cd/dvd with data or vcd or dvd data, movie etc on my dvdrom drive, the content of the disk come up like garbage....

If its a video cd, or a dvd with movies on it, none of the media player will play it. I have mplayer, xine etc.

But if I put the same cv/dvd on my dvd writer, the content of the cd/dvd shows alright and I can also play it with mplayer if its a video cd etc...

The dvdrom drive is alright becuase it is through which I have installed ubuntu 6.06.

The dvd rom drive also works fine on windows xp.

Sounds funny!!! I know, but can any linux GURU offer any solution to this funny problem.

Thanks & Regards
    Sumit Sen

I'm not sure about normal data, but for reading films have you installed libdvdcss and libdvdread?

Just Joined!
    Thanks bigtomrodney for the reply.

I have already installed the libdvdcss and libdvdread. As I said that I can play the same cd's/dvd's on the dvd writer. All the codec are installed. I can play all sort of files .avi,.dat,.mpg,.mp3 etc... from the dvd writer but the same wont run from the dvd rom drive.

Any idea to get the problem resolved?????

I had a problem with an old Writer before, it used to constantly error and had terrible read/write times when it even worked. If I tried to play a DVD/CD it would report all of its errors which were then visible in `dmesg`

Try running dmesg while a disc is playing - and if you know the device name (e.g. /dev/hdc) you can filter it
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i hdc