Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i downloaded ubuntu 6.06, but when i burned it to a disk i cant boot from it, is there something special i have to do to make it a bootable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

burning ubuntu

i downloaded ubuntu 6.06, but when i burned it to a disk i cant boot from it, is there something special i have to do to make it a bootable cd

oz
    forum.guy
    You probably burned it as a singe file rather than as an image. The iso file must be burned as an "image", or it won't work. When you are done burning it, there should be multiple files on the disk and it will be bootable if burned properly.

Here's a HowTo that might help:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...nstall-cd.html
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ya i found that out and gave it a go, my cd has one main folder with a bunch of other folders in it. however my computer wont boot from it. I am using a mac, and i am trying to duel boot, but i am positive i have taken the neccesarry steps.

the folder i have is ubuntu_server_powerpc_dappe

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeProgie
    ya i found that out and gave it a go, my cd has one main folder with a bunch of other folders in it. however my computer wont boot from it. I am using a mac, and i am trying to duel boot, but i am positive i have taken the neccesarry steps.
    Are you holding down the "C" key while booting? You need to that in order to boot from a CD on a mac.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    ya i am holding c when i boot, i will try this other sites instructions though, maybe the ones i used were missing a step or something.

thanks for all the help so far

Just Joined!
    k cool i got it to boot, i just need to start learnin about it. thanks alot everyone for your help

Just Joined!
    k, now i have another problem, i dont know anything about linux, and therefore dont have a clue how to enter from the prompt screen to my desktop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast