Find the answer to your Linux question:
when i start dapper i get this message nvidia legacy not found do i need to install the legacy driver and how...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nvidia message

when i start dapper i get this message nvidia legacy not found do i need to install the legacy driver and how

That sounds like a message you get when you're using really old hardware. Are you trying to run the official Nvidia driver with an old video card? You might have to use the Xorg nv driver instead.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

there is an official nvidia-legacy driver provided by nvidia that is seperate and distinct from the other one provided by nvidia for newer cards.

to install it probably something like

apt-get install nvidia-legacy
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

If you are still running the livecd trying to install you might try the cheatcode for booting using Vesa to avoid loading nvidia modules at all.

Just Joined!

Question nvidia legacy message

i dont have any idea what drivers dapper is installing because i can never get the desktop up and running i have a 9p3 750 384mb mem 250gbhd SB live audio, nvidia geforce fx 5500 agp video card 256mb mem) hda1 winxp 86gb, hde3 root linux 30gb,hde5 swap 1gb 128gb free unused space the expresso installer crashes the alternate install cd crashes at selecting and installing software im stuck with serverv install and trying to install xwindows and ubuntu-desktop on top of it im not giving up the livecd boots up without any parameters what should i do

Just Joined!

legacy message

Quote Originally Posted by unisol1
    i dont have any idea what drivers dapper is installing because i can never get the desktop up and running i have a 9p3 750 384mb mem 250gbhd SB live audio, nvidia geforce fx 5500 agp video card 256mb mem) hda1 winxp 86gb, hde3 root linux 30gb,hde5 swap 1gb 128gb free unused space the expresso installer crashes the alternate install cd crashes at selecting and installing software im stuck with serverv install and trying to install xwindows and ubuntu-desktop on top of it im not giving up the livecd boots up without any parameters what should i do
    there are no legacy drivers installed in dapper ive been using ubuntu since warty and never had a problem with installation until now

nvidia geforce fx 5500 agp video card 256mb mem
    This card should work with the standard NVIDIA drivers.

im stuck with serverv install and trying to install xwindows and ubuntu-desktop on top of it
    That should be just a mather of :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gdm x-window-system-core ubuntu-desktop
    If there is any issue, check out your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

And about NVIDIA drivers (no need to use the legacy ones with this card) :
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee