Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, good morning. At some point or another I'm going to need to learn to use the command-line in Linux. So I've got a sort of example run for myself. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Super noob file replacemrnt question

Hey, good morning.

At some point or another I'm going to need to learn to use the command-line in Linux. So I've got a sort of example run for myself.

I'd like to replace a file, used by the GUI, with a file that I made. (The KDE menu logo, if you must know. I already found the directory.) To do that, I must be in the console, correct?

How do I get there, what commands do I use, how do I use them?

And if you can think of any other tips about using the console, you might as well spill the beans.

Thanks!

Absolutely nothing wrong with being a super-noob - but all of us are super-noobs at many things. Using the shell in Linux is obviously a big topic, but it's hardly rocket science. You just need to learn it, and the net is overflowing with tutorials(see: google). You're going about things the wrong way by setting a very specific task for yourself and asking for the button-pushing answer. Especially since it involves having the most basic fundamentals of directory structure and shell commands - which you need to learn first.

Start here for a list of many topics, and read a bash shell introduction, probably precede it with a general Linux intro, and more specifically things like the directory structure and files. It's really not worth yours or others time repeating stuff that's being put into a properly learnable format by those far more talented at documentation, like those at the Linux Documentation Project.

If you get stuck on something specific, and can't wrap your brain around it and google doesn't help, then it makes more sense to post back here with the question. Lots of people will be more than happy to help out. You'll need to start with a little homework first, though.

DT

You don't need to use the command-line for that.

Create a launcher with the command
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    and you can temporarily browse as root and replace the icon.

Otherwise,
    Code:
    sudo cp ~/Desktop/myicon.png /usr/share/icons/crystal/48x48/apps/kmenu.png
    or something similar should work.

Just Joined!
    DThor, thank you, I will do that. I've just been reading a lot of Linux docs, and most of them have made things more complicated than necessary. So far, it seems that just ditching the doc files and figuring things out myself is producing better results.

But guessing commands isn't so easy. I never was good at those text-based games where you had to guess commands.

I'll just have to plow through them I guess.

aysiu, I understood that except for the 'create a launcher' bit.

Thanks for the fast reply, guys!

Thumbs up Amazing Response

Quote Originally Posted by DThor
    Absolutely nothing wrong with being a super-noob - but all of us are super-noobs at many things. Using the shell in Linux is obviously a big topic, but it's hardly rocket science. You just need to learn it, and the net is overflowing with tutorials(see: google). You're going about things the wrong way by setting a very specific task for yourself and asking for the button-pushing answer. Especially since it involves having the most basic fundamentals of directory structure and shell commands - which you need to learn first.

Start here for a list of many topics, and read a bash shell introduction, probably precede it with a general Linux intro, and more specifically things like the directory structure and files. It's really not worth yours or others time repeating stuff that's being put into a properly learnable format by those far more talented at documentation, like those at the Linux Documentation Project.

If you get stuck on something specific, and can't wrap your brain around it and google doesn't help, then it makes more sense to post back here with the question. Lots of people will be more than happy to help out. You'll need to start with a little homework first, though.

DT
    Your response to super-noobs' post is right on the mark, and I'll be taking your advice myself.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtyrant
    And if you can think of any other tips about using the console, you might as well spill the beans.

Thanks!
    Here are some websites that might help along the way:

http://www.ss64.com/bash/index.html

http://www.linuxcommand.org/

http://www.perpetualpc.net/srtd_commands_rev.html

http://dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_toc.html

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/linux/cmd/
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hey, I like those!

I think I've got the right bit of code, but still getting errors...getting closer though!

Quote Originally Posted by gmtyrant
    aysiu, I understood that except for the 'create a launcher' bit.
    Right-click on the panel and add an application launcher. The launcher dialogue will ask you what command you want to run. For the command, type
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    Select whatever icon you feel is appropriate.

Then click that icon every time you want to temporarily browse as root.