Find the answer to your Linux question:
First off I have been a windows user for a long time. I am interested in getting Linux installed on my computers, but so far all I've run into is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Problems With Linux

First off I have been a windows user for a long time. I am interested in getting Linux installed on my computers, but so far all I've run into is problems.

Right Now I am having these issues on two separate pc's one a dell laptop the other is a custom built desktop.

I am currently having three separate issues with Ubuntu.

1. X server crashes on my desktop from the live cd. I got the suggestion to use the alternate install cd. So I tried that.. which brings me to problem number 2. Here is a link to this thread: **removed**

2. Ubuntu won't show me my HDD on my desktop. All that I get is the blue screen with a grey line at the bottom. This happens after install tells me that it is starting up the partitioner utlity. I have also tried using the resque cd and ran Qtparted from that, but it doesnt't show my drive their either. Here is a link to my thread: **removed**

3. Now on my laptop Ubuntu works, and it is installed. My problem is that I can't get the internet to connect through my dsl provider. Here is a link my other thread: **removed**
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 07-13-2006 at 05:47 PM.

Hi, we'll be more than happy to try and help here at linuxforums, but unfortunately posting links to other forums is not very sportsman like

It seems you are having problems with your USB modem - Can you post details?

Just Joined!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Hi, we'll be more than happy to try and help here at linuxforums, but unfortunately posting links to other forums is not very sportsman like

It seems you are having problems with your USB modem - Can you post details?
    Sorry about the link's, they are removed now huh? My modem is ethernet and it is connected directly to the computer. I am currently recieving help with this problem on the Ubuntu main forum.

As for the two other problems I think they can be solved by installing a different Distro like Mepis or SUSE, and then waiting for Edgy to come out and hope that these problems are fixed by then.

Quote Originally Posted by foots2015
    1. X server crashes on my desktop from the live cd. I got the suggestion to use the alternate install cd.
    Can you post your exact video card model?

2. Ubuntu won't show me my HDD on my desktop. All that I get is the blue screen with a grey line at the bottom.
    If that a SATA hard drive? Yes, you may have better luck installing Ubuntu with the alternate CD.

3. Now on my laptop Ubuntu works, and it is installed. My problem is that I can't get the internet to connect through my dsl provider.
    So is that a Ethernet modem or a USB one? I guess you have another thread for this issue :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...g-penguin.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    AntiDrugue:

1. (Nvidia Geforce 6200) I can probably solve this one. I just need to get Dapper installed.

2. SATA 2 drive(300mbps)(Seagate 80 gig) . Have tried alternate install CD but still won't show me my HDD when setup goes to the partitioning part. Have heard that the linux kernel doesn't support SATA 2 HDD's

3. Problem solved. Thank's to people on another forum.

2. SATA 2 drive(300mbps)(Seagate 80 gig) . Have tried alternate install CD but still won't show me my HDD when setup goes to the partitioning part.
    Make sure you have the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Also check the SATA controller settings in the BIOS : enhanced or legacy mode, try one or the other.

Have heard that the linux kernel doesn't support SATA 2 HDD's
    I certainly don't believe that to be true. What is your motherboard model? (Or your SATA controller model if it is a PCI card.) Or even better, the output of
    Code:
    lspci
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    My motherboard is ASUS P5VDC-MX.

My sata drive is plugged into the motherboard not into a pci card.

I think that I have the latest bios.

I may not be able to reply for a while, but i'm going to work on it.

Thank's for your help.