Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
OK guys...let me start by saying I am a COMPLETE noob! That being said, I recently installed Kubuntu 6.06 and am unable to enable my wireless card. I dont believe ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help enabling my wireless card!!! PLEASE!

OK guys...let me start by saying I am a COMPLETE noob!

That being said, I recently installed Kubuntu 6.06 and am unable to enable my wireless card. I dont believe it is a ndiswrapper/driver issue because my wirelss card shows up in the network settings of the KDE Control Center. BUT, when I configure the card with the correct SSID/password and attempt to enable it...it enables for a second and then immediately goes back to disabled.

I believe I have exhausted what limited knowledge/deductive logic that I have and I am in desperate need of help!!!! I love the OS, but if I cant get to the internet I might have to go back to that other OS...

Anyways here is some info that might help:
    -Kubuntu 6.06
    -Card: Buffalo Turbo G Air Station WLI2-PCI-54S
    -I can successfully ping 127.0.0.1
    -sudo iwconfig returns:
    lo no wireless
    eth0 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"My ID" Nickname:"Broadcom 430
    Mode: Managed Access Point: Invalid Bit rate=1mb/s
    RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key: My key Security mode:open
    Link quality: 0 Signal Level: 0 Noise Level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 RX invalid crpt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

eth1 no wireless extensions

I know you have probably seen this before and this is a total noob question, but I am going nuts trying to figure this out...any information anyone can provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Assuming you have the correct Windows driver installed correctly via ndiswrapper, when you do...
    Code:
    /sbin/lsmod
    ...do you see ndiswrapper there? If not do...
    Code:
    /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
    If or when ndiswrapper appears, try:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up
    Then:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    Is wlan0 there? If so, configure it for wireless...
    Code:
    /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 essid youressid enc your-wire-less-wep-key
    Hope some of this helps or maybe gets you on the right track.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Dan, I did not see ndiswrapper when i tried /sbin/lsmod.

Moreover, when i tried /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper and hit enter, it just gave me the command prompt again...no results.

I then tried /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up and it returned:
    wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flag: No such device

Is this because my card is identified as eth0? I tried to replace wlan0 with eth0 but received: SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Thanks for you help, but still no luck. Any other thoughts?

When you did /sbin/lsmod, did it return something? Some of those commands may need to be preceeded with "sudo," as in:
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up
    Tell me about ndiswrapper. Did you install the Windows drivers for your device with it? How did you go about doing this? What do you get when you do:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -l

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    When you did /sbin/lsmod, did it return something? Some of those commands may need to be preceeded with "sudo," as in:
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up
    Tell me about ndiswrapper. Did you install the Windows drivers for your device with it? How did you go about doing this? What do you get when you do:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -l
    Yes it did. It returned a long list, but ndis wrapper was not in the list.

Thanks for the heads up on sudo...from what i understand it is a quasi root command, and I have been prefacing all of my lines with sudo (prolly not the best habit).

I did not install ndiswrapper OR any drivers. I looked at countless wikis/tuts, but couldnt figure them out (im a noob/idiot). And then the more I read, I thought that I didnt have to because it was recognizing my card...was this a poor assumption? if so, can you give me the idiots guide to ndiswrapper?

thanks again dan i REALLY appreciate this!

Have a look at this "How to" For Ubuntu. I'm not sure it is the same in Kubuntu though. Try and see if this will get you going...

Just Joined!
    I have, but when I enter "sudo make install" it gives me the error: sudo: make: command not found...

Im lost...

Wireless is likely the most difficult problem new users face when trying to run Linux. It's such a pain too because you need the Internet more than anything else. I was lucky enough to start out with a wired cable connection which was much easier to get going. I'm not sure if I'd have stuck it out in those days if wireless was all I had. Anyway, any chance you can get wired with this box long enough to download the stuff you need to go wireless? If you can get a wired connection going, from the command line as root do:
    Code:
    apt-get install build-essentials
    That should supply the needed compilers and stuff. I was thinking though that ndiswrapper was already included in the latest releases. To see, from the command line as root:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    Does it say "command not found?"

Just Joined!
    Dan,

First of all, thank you for all of your help...and for sticking it out with me thus far...

Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to hardwire the box due to the fact that it is located two stories above the router. Worse case scenario I will move the box.

By searching the file system using konquerer i am able to find an ndiswrapper folder that contains one file entitled ndiswrapper.? (i am not at the pc and cant remember the extension).

I will try to get more info when i get home tonight. Thanks again!

Just Joined!
    Yep. Says "command not found"

Does this mean ndiswrapper is not installed?

I dloaded it to a thumb drive and have moved it to my desktop, but I have NO IDEA how to install. And then after reading...much like you, decided I didnt need to install because it came with the release.

What should I do? How do I install the ndiswrapper and driver I dloaded that are sitting on my desktop?

Ugh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast