Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I am trying to convert from win xp to ubuntu and have been running into a few problems. I am starting with a copy of virtual pc so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

virtual pc ubuntu problems

Hi everyone.
    I am trying to convert from win xp to ubuntu and have been running into a few problems. I am starting with a copy of virtual pc so I can still use internet on xp when I have trouble (ie: now).
    I have installed ubuntu with a downloaded live cd and am up to the login screen. The screen is now all distorted so I can't really see what is displayed properly. After a bit of googling, I discovered a fix for my problem here http://weblogs.asp.net/pscott/archiv...13/427426.aspx but that only lead to more problems. He says to go to /etc/X11, which i could do easily enough despite the distorted screen, and open xorg.conf using pico.
    Pico is apparantly not installed on my machine but I can still open the file with gedit. However it opens in read only mode and I can't make the change I need to.
    I am a complete noob with linux but I am determined to make the switch even if it kills me. Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

you need to login as root and then you are allowed to modify the files...
    but BEWARE while you are log-in as a root...you can modify anything...!!

Hey But UBUNTU doesn't have root account hmmm.... try this

Right-click the file and change the permissions from Read-only to write-also something like that..

and see what you can do..!!

Linux Newbie
    I would recomend that you use terminal to open the file with SUDO:
    sudo gedit <path to desised file

ie
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.config