Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello folks. I am new to Ubuntu and Linux in general.I have seccessfuly loaded Dapper Drake onto a spare drive in my Power Mac G4.I now have a dual boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Connecting to the web....

Hello folks.
    I am new to Ubuntu and Linux in general.I have seccessfuly loaded Dapper Drake onto a spare drive in my Power Mac G4.I now have a dual boot su=sytem that appears to be very stable.My printer,scanner,usb periphs,all work fine.
    I installed WiFi and my Airort Extrem card is now recognized along with my network.However,I can nt connect to the internet.Where do I fix this and how?
    I tried the vsrious network apps under the Admin menu by entering the same info that I have under my network prefs for OS X.This does not seem to be working.Any ideas,especially from those who may have a dual boot Mac setup
    BTW,I sam still able to access the web under OS X,so it's not a hradware issue (I don't think )

thanx folks!

Juan

You may have to manually give yourself an ip address and a subnet mask and all that other good stuff if you don't have dhcp enabled for your network.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Stang
    You may have to manually give yourself an ip address and a subnet mask and all that other good stuff if you don't have dhcp enabled for your network.

Thanx for the response.
    I got the ip and subnet.What exactly is dhcp and how do I find out if it is enabled for my network?
    I have Verizon Broadband and all they seem to know about concerning networks and the web is Windows.
    Thanx again
    Juan

Dual Booting Dapper/OS X

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You can check how another computer connects to the network. Or you can log in to the router and it will probably be on the first page you see. "Enable DHCP Server." If this is enabled you should also set ubuntu for DHCP. If it's not enabled you'll have to set it to static IP and give it it's own information.
    (I can search google)

I got on the Verizon site (my ISP) and got my DNS #s and domain info.I plugged all this into the Networking app and and set it to DHCP.
    Now when I type in a url into firefox it actually takes a bit of time (about 20 secs) before I get the "Cannot retrieve the requested URL" error.Before it was instantaneous.
    So,I believe that all the info is correct.The problem may be that my Airport Station is not being recognized.Although WiFi Radar states that it is recognizing my network and the IP address is correct,the signal is strong,and the port appears to be detected as well. In the Networking Active/Deactive pane I have chosen the "Wireless Card" option since I am using an Airport Extreme card to connect to my Airport Station.Both my station and DSL modem are working in OS X and all the status lights are on when I'm in Ubuntu.Should I choose the "Ethernet Port" option instead and make that active?
    Sorry about the rant!

Juan

Since you're on a network try this.

IP: What you want your IP on the network to be. Probably 192.168.1.xxx
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: The IP of your router. Default is usually 192.168.1.1
    Domain: leave this blank
    DNS: the first dns server verizon provided you
    DNS: the second server they provided you

Also, I don't know how the macs are, but on this laptop I would randomly get eth1 or wlan0 for a while. I had to go into ndiswrapper and change it from wlan0 to eth1.

Glad to see you're running wifiradar, I use that as well.
    (I can search google)

Cool beans.I will give that a try.
    Do you ever have any problems with WiFi?
    I will keep ya posted!
    Juan

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Stang

I had to go into ndiswrapper and change it from wlan0 to eth1.

Glad to see you're running wifiradar, I use that as well.

what is ndiswrapper? I can't locate it.

I m still getting a stalled response to url inputs in Firefox with the resultant "Error".

Juan

ndiswrapper is used when the wireless card driver isn't allready supported by ubuntu. But if you're connected to your network you should be good...

Connected to the network... can access other computers and pritners... I thought it would just be a problem with the way you configured wifiradar.

Can you ping a website and get a response?
    What type of router do you have? Maybe upgrade it's firmware?

Maybe dissable the router's built in firewall and see if you can connect then.

I think those are about the last of my ideas...
    (I can search google)

Thanx again for the input.I'll try your suggestions!
    Juan