Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was checking out the power options on my hp laptop using the ubuntu live cd, and in the context help it describes the difference between suspend and hibernate. Suspend ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hibernate and suspend problems

I was checking out the power options on my hp laptop using the ubuntu live cd, and in the context help it describes the difference between suspend and hibernate. Suspend is listed as an option in the power options, but hibernate is not, and hibernate is obviously what i want for a laptop. Was this option simply not listed because I was using the live CD and had not done a full install yet or a hardware thing or what? Furthermore, I tried setting it to suspend on laptop lid being closed. I closed the lid, it suspended, and when I resumed it the screen was just a garbled mess.

Linux Newbie
    I believe the hybernate is just not available for the live cd....i have a compaq laptop (they are identical to hp's) and the hibernate is available on the full install, and not on the live cd

hibernate is available in full install only !! i tried a lot of Live Cds on many Laptops, Suspend works fine ....
    post your laptop's configuration

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First