Find the answer to your Linux question:
Occasionally my LCD monitor will lockup, that is the display will go to a scrambled color display or white. Pressing the spacebar or keys does not bring it back into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

monitor lockup

Occasionally my LCD monitor will lockup, that is the display will go to a scrambled color display or white. Pressing the spacebar or keys does not bring it back into service. Gateway acted as if I was a leper because I was using Linux and they could not troubleshoot the problem. They said it sounded like it was a software problem.

The room can be warm this time of year and the surface of the screen is mildly warm to the touch.

Am considering using a CRT in the interim.

Any suggestions???

Before you do this, you may want to wait for somebody to respond and okay this. (allthough i don't really know what you could mess up) I wrote these instructions down when I was trying to figure out how to set my screen resolution to 1280 x 800 and all I have are the command lines. Everything else is from memory.

Okay, first back up the xorg.conf file like this.
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup

Now end the gnome session
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Once you've done that you may have to login.
    Now enter we're going to reconfigure xorg.
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This will run a program similar to the one you had when you installed ubuntu. Only this isn't GUI. It will ask you questions about your keyboard, monitor, etc. Answer them to the best of your ability.

After that, we'll get back into knome.
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)