Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know this is tooooooo long, but please bear with me. Okay, it all began when I decided to install XGL/Compiz. I installed my nVidia drivers (which for some reason ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question Completely Messed Up

I know this is tooooooo long, but please bear with me.

Okay, it all began when I decided to install XGL/Compiz. I installed my nVidia drivers (which for some reason didn't work until I rebooted) and then installed XGL, which refused to work (BTW, I did see the nVidia logo at startup). The nVidia logo only came ONCE during startup. I never saw it again.

I removed XGL and restored all my old configuration files, after which X crashed ONCE and then became okay again.

I wanted to check whether my nVidia drivers were properly installed or not, so I reinstalled them. Then I ran nvidia-glx-config enable. It said that my XORG.CONF was modified and told me to run some weird MD5 command thingy (which I, probably unwisely, ran).

I then ran the command again and found that X refused to work. I restored the backup files again and restarted X. It worked, but for a few seconds I saw a pixelated gray background and all menus were that old gray default color. Then it became okay again.

Now, I have these questions -
    1. How do I check if my nVidia drivers are okay or not?
    2. What the hell happened to X when I ran that nvidia command?
    3. Why can't I see the nVidia logo at startup?
    4. Should I try compiz again? If so, what are the steps?
    Registered Linux User #394578

Quote Originally Posted by {MaX}
    Now, I have these questions -
    1. How do I check if my nVidia drivers are okay or not?
    Either do a modprobe | grep nvidia and see if something returns or run glxgears from a console. Any FPS above around 1,000 means you're running accelerated and the drivers installed properly. Just as a reference, my Geforce 6800 gives me around 5,000-9,000 FPS.

2. What the hell happened to X when I ran that nvidia command?
    It would help if you knew the exact command.

3. Why can't I see the nVidia logo at startup?
    As far as I know, SuSE turns this off by default. There's an option you can set in your xorg.conf to always show the splash screen, but for the life of me I can't remember it off hand. You can also set this option from the nvidia-settings dialog box.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Ah, thanks. I finally managed to find out that the drivers are working. Thx.
    Registered Linux User #394578