Find the answer to your Linux question:
My friend installed linux ubunu yesterday but is having problems with internet. He has the following internet adaptor: Code: NetGear 108mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adaptor I need to know exactly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

helping my friend

My friend installed linux ubunu yesterday but is having problems with internet. He has the following internet adaptor:
    Code:
    NetGear 108mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adaptor
    I need to know exactly what I am going to need to download so I can send it to him. I need to be able to put it on a disk so I don't want any command downloads like apt-get. Sorry if I am being picky thats just what I have to do because its on my friends computer and I have to go to his house to give it to him.

What are the nessessary materials for this adaptor to get recognized on the linux machine and being able to search for wireless access points.

I appreciate your help, thank you.

Hello
    The best wireless cards for linux are the cheap ones they use the prism2 chip set the card your friend has is got the Atheros chip set not linux compatible. This card here will work "Netgear MA311 Wireless Network card - Prisim II chipset"

Sorry objuan,
    Atheros based chipsets are supported under Linux, I have one.
    Belkin F5D7000 (rev 01) you should use the Madwifi driver.
    Posted here
    pay special attention the section entitled "Requires", those are the files you need to have installed(dependancies) in order for madwifi to work.
    Consider downloading all the requires since you can't use yum.
    be SURE to download the version that matches your kernel version.
    Code:
    uname -r
    will tell you which kernel version you have.

more instructions here
    Enjoy!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.