Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. I'm very new to Linux, and I'm trying to install it on my laptop. The problem is my laptops DVD drive died, and it is the only CD/DVD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing ubuntu

Hello everyone. I'm very new to Linux, and I'm trying to install it on my laptop. The problem is my laptops DVD drive died, and it is the only CD/DVD drive on the computer. I bought an external DVD/CD-RW drive and I can't figure out how to boot from it. It is listed as the first device in boot devices in the BIOS menu, however, it still won't boot. The disk is bootable, I've checked. I'm running Win XP on a Compaq Presario 1800. (Kinda old.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well all I had to do on my PC (an old amd64) was to download the ISO file, burn the boot disk (i have an option to burn an ISO boot disk). I then started up the PC (in windows) put the disk in, rebooted, and it came up with a menu letting me run from hard drive (boot up windows again) check my PCs specs, and (the first on the list) install from the boot disk. I just hit that, and it pretty much arn itself from there.

Are you using a downloaded ISO file on a self burnt ISO disk? Or a prebought one? I have had problems trying to install Open SuSe 10.1 from a set of CDs that I bought, but the boot disk I made (the ubuntu dapper drake distro) worked fine with nor problems

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle564
    Hello everyone. I'm very new to Linux, and I'm trying to install it on my laptop. The problem is my laptops DVD drive died, and it is the only CD/DVD drive on the computer. I bought an external DVD/CD-RW drive and I can't figure out how to boot from it. It is listed as the first device in boot devices in the BIOS menu, however, it still won't boot. The disk is bootable, I've checked. I'm running Win XP on a Compaq Presario 1800. (Kinda old.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Make sure the device has power going to it if external. What type of connection is it? serial? USB? Parrallel? Some times PC's will lie to you. Assuming you checked the MD5 Sum of the iso, and burned it correctly the disk is not the issue. Make sure connections are secure and make sure that the bios knows what port it is.

Cody

Linux Newbie
    verify that your external cd rom drive is being read correctly by your system bios....
    Put the restore disk that came with your computer in the drive and reboot....if THAT does not boot...your bios is NOT recognizing the external drive as the first boot device

Instead of setting the cd rom drive as first boot, set removable drives as first boot. Since your other one broke, it is trying to run a disk from that, and not the external. Assuming that the external drive is usb, it is technically considered a removable storage device even though its still a CD/DVD reader/writer, so set the bios to removable storage, or removable devices, which ever bios version you may have.

Cody

Just Joined!

Thanks

Thanks for the help you guys. I am now up and running Ubuntu with all my devices working properly, even my removable CD drive.