Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
does anyone know how to install a windows based software on ubuntu? i have WINE, but I have no clue how to use it. can anyone explain in detail how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

windows programs on ubuntu

does anyone know how to install a windows based software on ubuntu? i have WINE, but I have no clue how to use it. can anyone explain in detail how to do that please? i am new to ubuntu, so yeah, haha
    thanks in advance.

Smile

hi tupadjia !!!

Wine can be run like any other X program: you can run it from the command line:

to install windows software....

$ wine <setup file> like $ wine setup.exe

to run program...

$ wine <program exe> like $ wine sol

or you can put it in a menu, or launch it from a file manager. When launched, programs run and act as if they were running under Windows. By default, applications come up in a special kind of window that looks very much like those provided by Windows instead of looking like other X windows. It looks as if a normal Windows window popped up in the middle of all your X windows, because your window manager doesn't put a standard "frame" on the window. Unfortunately, those windows do not interact well with virtual window managers like fvwm (they don't go away when you switch to another virtual screen), so there is an option to bring up an X window that contains the application window, and this is well-behaved with virtual window managers.

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux User
    Hi tupadjia,
    Read the following Wine User Guide given in their website : -

http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wineusr-guide/index

Always, do some search before posting any questions.

With Regards,
    Thinker

Just Joined!
    sorry there thinker, but thats what these forums are for, for ppl to post questions. and i am sorry i didnt do research before i posted my question, what difference does that to you

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...tions-2-a.html

Yes, these forums are here to ask questions, but the Internet is full of answers. Time is valuable to all of us, and by taking out a little time to look for an answer on Google or another source, you allow other members of this forum more time to answer more difficult questions, and you also learn more when you research it yourself. I've personally found that about 90%, if not more, of my problems are solved within 10 minutes when I look on Google.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

I partially agree with you, Javasnob, but if time is that important to you, you can always just ignore someone's question that's too basic. The forum is for questions, and if you want to weed out the "easy" ones, you can do so without scolding people who ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I partially agree with you, Javasnob, but if time is that important to you, you can always just ignore someone's question that's too basic. The forum is for questions, and if you want to weed out the "easy" ones, you can do so without scolding people who ask them.
    i agree with aysiu !!
    if you are busy... just ignore the thread...
    most users posting these type of threads, are newbies... they like to ask problems specific to their machines and disro only... it true that google provide most of solutions but sometimes linux jargoan is used in solving problems ... which a newbie dont understand...

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off so harsh...I didn't mean it to sound like it's a waste of time to ask or answer questions...
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Will you guys quit bashin' the poor kid. Linux is linux, so Wine is a waste of time in my opinion. Why can't you just make 2 partitions on your drive, one for Ubuntu, one for xp or whatever M$ o/s you use. Or, you can install Qemu which is an excellent windows emulator, well actually a multiplatform emulator, and install windows on there. starting windows is as easy as a double click on a file icon..

Just Joined!

there ya go

thanks man, was that so hard for the rest of you ppl? i am a pro at any windows OS, just ask me and i'll do it for ya. i switched to linux just over 3 weeks and i dont know squat about it. its easier for me if ppl tell me in forums how to certain things then read a professionals correct writing. i find that hard i dont care who you are or what u say

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast