Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using Kubuntu on an old athlon 900 for a couple of months now. I REALLY like it. I'm ready to get rid of my Windows dual boot for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to switch to just Kubuntu from dual boot

I've been using Kubuntu on an old athlon 900 for a couple of months now. I REALLY like it. I'm ready to get rid of my Windows dual boot for good, but I want to make sure I don't break anything.

I set up my partitions using a Rescue Linux disk with QT parted. My HD is 40gig, with 30 gig for XP on the first part (NTFS) and then a 5gig ext3 part for linux, folowed by a swap part and a vfat 3gig part for sharing.
    I want to transfer all my old docs out of XP to the Vfat part, format that part as vfat or ext3, use that as storage and then increase the size of the ext3 part to the rest. after that, I'd like to ditch grub.

Is this sane? Is it easy? How much does location matter? can I get rid of GRUB, since I won't need dual boot? Any constructive advice would be welcomed...

You need Grub, even if you're not dual booting.

Go ahead and delete and add partitions. Just keep in mind you can't add to the beginning of a partition, only to the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Go ahead and delete and add partitions. Just keep in mind you can't add to the beginning of a partition, only to the end of it.
    But you can copy and paste entire partitions. Then just edit /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst to boot or load from the correct partitions.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yes, I realize that, too. That doesn't go against what I said--that's just another option. In fact, I created a tutorial on that:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partimage.html

well..

thanks for the help so far,

I've deleted my windows part - yay! but now I can't mount the new part -boo!

when I look at fstab it says:
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
    /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ext3 users,defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,atime,auto,rw,no dev,noexec,nosuid 0 1
    /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,users 0 1
    /dev/hda4 /share vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 1
    /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

and when I try to mount it in system settings, I get this dialog:

an error occurred while enabling /media/hda1
    the system reported: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1
    missing codepage or other error

when I check up on that I get:
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
    /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ext3 users,defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,atime,auto,rw,no dev,noexec,nosuid 0 1
    /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,users 0 1
    /dev/hda4 /share vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 1
    /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

what can I do to make the part mount? should I fdisk it? Qtparted says it's fine.
    and when grub starts, it's still looking for XP, so I need to change that.

Linux Newbie
    You need to edit grub:
    sudo <enter name of favorite text editor here> <path to GRUB....usually /boot/grub/menu.lst>

Enter password

delete all the lines that reference windows
    You may also want to set the following line:

## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    #hiddenmenu

to
    ## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    hiddenmenu

and change
    ## timeout sec
    # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
    # (normally the first entry defined).
    timeout 10

to something lower (like 1 .... I dont know if zero will work)

solved!

I went through aysiu's tutorial, and I'm not really sure what I did, but i followed the instructions that seemed relevant, and solved the problem.

Thanks for everyone's help!