Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I'm a first time linux user. Just tried to install Ubuntu for the first time. First I tried with the server CD (not knowing what it was) then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble Installing

Hey everyone,

I'm a first time linux user. Just tried to install Ubuntu for the first time. First I tried with the server CD (not knowing what it was) then was advised to do it with the desktop CD. I popped it in and it loaded everything then went to the next screen where there's an orange Ubuntu logo in the middle and a maroon background (before you get to the desktop). It just hangs tehre. The logo looks REALLY choppy which makes me think it's a gfx problem.

I was then advised to install with the Alternate CD, which I did. I installed it and now it takes me to a login screen, I login then it goes to the next page and hangs at the exact same thing (with the choppy logo).

I have an nvidia 7800 gfx card if that helps.

Any ideas?

The hanging could be do to extreme cpu usage, or the graphics card could be unsupported. But, if this is the case yousshould still get something. If it is graphics, it sounds like an X-server issue. Try another version of ubuntu. If you tried the dapper live disk, try the beta edgy live disk. My laptop didn't work at all with graphics with the dapper live disk, but edgy loaded jst fine, go figure.

Code