Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed ubuntu on my computer, this is my first linux install so i dont know a lot about it. I have read the hardware help for 3D graphics ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing 3D Drivers and XGL

I recently installed ubuntu on my computer, this is my first linux install so i dont know a lot about it.

I have read the hardware help for 3D graphics cards on the ubuntu web site, which said that I need one of the 2 available drivers, one for older cards, and one for newer ones; I probably need the newer one since I just bought my computer. The site made it sound like all I had to do was in the packages from the GUI package manager, but I need reassuring. The card is a Nvidia Geforce 7300LE, and I am pretty sure that it does not use it's own ram, but takes some from the computer's, and I was wondering if that would create an issue. On the Nvidia web site there was not a driver for specfic cards, and I am use to downloading drivers for specific things so all this is a little weird to me. I am probalby just being to cautions but I have read many posts where people could not get there computer working right afterwards......

Please give me advice on what to do, and if there is any conficuration that i will have to do in the CLI, I really dont want to mess up the Windows Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxUser254
    I probably need the newer one since I just bought my computer. The site made it sound like all I had to do was in the packages from the GUI package manager, but I need reassuring. The card is a Nvidia Geforce 7300LE...
    You most definitely need the newer driver for the 7000 series. That's the newest line of cards Nvidia has out right now and the older driver simply won't support it (since it came out a year or so before your card was made).

...and I am pretty sure that it does not use it's own ram, but takes some from the computer's...
    I assume we're talking about an external video card here, one that plugs into your PCI/PCIexpress/AGP slot and not an onboard integrated video chipset. If you have a separate video card it has its own RAM. If it's integrated it uses up to a certain amount of your system RAM. Either way this won't affect how it works with Linux. Just install the driver and let it do its thing.

On the Nvidia web site there was not a driver for specfic cards, and I am use to downloading drivers for specific things so all this is a little weird to me.
    Nvidia releases a unified driver for all their cards. So long as you download the correct version (the newest, since you have a new card) you should have no issues. There is a list of what models of cards each driver supports on the download page via a link. (I think it's on the left hand side of the page.)

I am probalby just being to cautions but I have read many posts where people could not get there computer working right afterwards......
    Installing a video driver will not screw up your computer, but it can make your graphical interface not work. For users familiar with MS Windows, they will likely automatically panic and think something's broken. Take heart, Linux works just fine without a graphical interface and we here at the forums can fix most problems you have and get you back to clicking icons.

Please give me advice on what to do, and if there is any conficuration that i will have to do in the CLI, I really dont want to mess up the Windows Manager.
    There should be a section in the Ubuntu Guide (here) explaining how to get the driver working. If that doesn't work, you can try my guide:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-drivers.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Drivers installed good......

The driver installed fine, i did have to edit xorg.config, but it was easy all i had to do was change nv to nvidia, the ever thing workes fine. There is one thing that i noticed though, my screen is positioned to the left now, on most monitors there is a scroll wheel to reposition it, but not on mine. I am sure there is an easy way to fix this though, i am fixing to go look under prefrences. Now all i have to do is install XGL. COOL.

The driver installed fine, i did have to edit xorg.config, but it was easy all i had to do was change nv to nvidia, the ever thing workes fine. There is one thing that i noticed though, my screen is positioned to the left now, on most monitors there is a scroll wheel to reposition it, but not on mine. I am sure there is an easy way to fix this though, i am fixing to go look under prefrences. Now all i have to do is install XGL. COOL.
    Is your monitor a flat-panel TFT? If so you might have an "auto-adjust" button somewhere that will reposition it.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I've experienced my screen shifted too far to the left, but when I raised my refresh rate it centered. I don't understand the logic, but it's food for thought.

Just Joined!

Screen Corrected

I found the auto adjust button you were talking about, i had no idea it was there. XGL is working great, all I had to do was follow the instructions on the ubuntuguide wiki page. Hey does anyone know how to lower the refresh rate of the whole desktop. When I turn on my monitor it tells me that it is set for 1280x1024 at 75mhz, but the recomended setting is 1280x1024 at 60mhz. When i go to System > Prefrences > Screen Resolution it tells me that it is set at 75mhz, and i am supose to select from a drop down menu different refresh rates. When I click it there is no drop down menu. It really isnt causing a problem, but i though I would try to set it on it's recomended settings. Also what is a superkey? I read something about it when I was installing XGL.

Thanks for the Help. - LinuxUser254

I found the auto adjust button you were talking about, i had no idea it was there. XGL is working great, all I had to do was follow the instructions on the ubuntuguide wiki page. Hey does anyone know how to lower the refresh rate of the whole desktop.
    If it's not causing any problems, I wouldn't mess with it. But if you *really* want to, you can specify your refresh rate by editing the "Monitor" section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants