Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would really appreciate some help installing GTK so that I can use Anjuta. I have installed Anjuta OK, but when I try to create a simple project it produces ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

INSTALLING GTK+ and ANJUTA IN UBUNTU

I would really appreciate some help installing GTK so that I can use Anjuta.

I have installed Anjuta OK, but when I try to create a simple project it produces an error message saying that glib is missing. Now glib is part of GTK+, so I suspect that GTK+ itself is not properly installed. In fact, even 'make' was not installed, but I have now installed that.

Anjuta suggests one gets glib from ftp.gtk.org and I have now downloaded all of GTK2 and its dependencies. What surprised me is that I could not do this from Synaptic.

So my first question is: How do I configure Ubuntu's Synaptic to recognise GTK so that when GTK changes in the future, I get notified that an update is available?

Now to the installation of GTK2. The GTK documentation gives an example installing GTK in /opt. But /opt is at present empty, and I wonder where Anjuta expects to find glib and all the other gtk libraries.

So my second question: Is there a standard place where I should be installing all of GTK?

I would hate to mess my system by installing such fundamental software in an inappropriate place.

Many thanks for your help.

Geoff

Linux Enthusiast
    Ubuntu comes with the GTK+2 library by default, specially since it's default desktop environment is GNOME which make heavy use of GTK+2. There should be no need for you to download the GTK source. If all you need are the header files then you want the "libgtk2.0-dev" package.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Just Joined!

Smile Anjuta problem solved

Thanks very much for your help.

in looking through the packages I was only looking for gtkSOMETHING, and ignoring packages with -dev suffix thinking they were IN development!