Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I am completely new to using Linux. I installed ubuntu 6.06 for the PowerPC on my PowerBook G4 to experiment with it. However, I got in over my head. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with Mac OS X + ubuntu

Hi. I am completely new to using Linux. I installed ubuntu 6.06 for the PowerPC on my PowerBook G4 to experiment with it. However, I got in over my head. I have a better than average grasp on using OS X, but I have very little experience using command line based operating systems. Because of this, I have a two part question. I have not been able to access the internet through the wireless network in my house (three other macs currently have working connections to the same network). I have been able to log on using an ethernet connection, leaving my desktop computer unconnected. After doing some google searches, I was still unable to get Wireless Assistant to recognize a wireless network. Since it is a necessity for me to have a wireless connection, I am looking to do one of two things. The first would be able to establish a wireless connection through ubuntu without having to revert to OS X. If anyone would be willing to walk me through the steps of establishing this connection, I would be more than grateful.

The second part of the question is, if I cannot establish a wireless connection through ubuntu, how do I revert my PowerBook back to OS X? I tried booting from the original install disc, which worked fine, but once I got to the section where you choose a drive to install OS X, there were no volumes present. I tried repartitioning the hard drive in an attempt to create a second volume which the OS X installer would recognize, but again, due to my inexperience, I was without luck. Ideally, I would like to be able to dual boot OS X as well as ubuntu, but at this point, I have no problem single booting OS X. I apologize for the lengthy post, but again, I'm in way over my head here. Any help with any of the above problems is very, very appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Steve

You'll probably want to look into ndiswrapper for the wireless and gparted for the repartitioning.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794