Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I'm not quite there yet, but I'm currently rebuilding my laptop to give me a triple-boot between Windows XP Pro, Ubuntu, and Backtrack. I'd like (if possible) to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sharing a Firefox profile between Windows XP and Ubuntu

Hi Guys,

I'm not quite there yet, but I'm currently rebuilding my laptop to give me a triple-boot between Windows XP Pro, Ubuntu, and Backtrack.

I'd like (if possible) to share all of my Firefox favourites, extensions, etc between Ubuntu and Windows so that when I update one it automatically updates the other - I'm guessing that this is impossible though.....so.....

Is it possible to force both versions of Firefox (one in Windows and one in Ubuntu) to use the same profile - and then place that profile on a shared area of the HDD?

Cheers.

I don't know if you'll run into permissions issues, but presumably you could symlink /home/catsworth/.mozilla to your shared folder and create a shortcut from C:\Documents and Settings\catsworth\Application Data\Mozilla to your shared folder.

Note: Both .mozilla and Application Data are hidden folders.

Sounds promising, once I've got everything straightened up I'll look into it in more depth. Thanks for the help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

profile.ini

I was able to do this -- here's what I did:

1) copy the profile you wish to share onto a FAT drive, which both OSes can read & write from.

2) modify firefox's profile.ini in each OS so that they point to the profile on the FAT drive. I'm pretty sure these locations are where the file is located:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profile.ini

~/.mozilla/firefox/profile.ini

If you only want to share a few of the files (eg bookmarks), you can just do the same thing to windows, but use symlinks in linux to whichever files you want to share.

If you share everything, you might get some annoying message about how firefox has been updated every time you start firefox, but everything works for me -- eg my form input, passwords, etc were all stored.

Just google firefox profile.ini share for more information.