Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I recently bought a magazine with all about linux, with a Kubuntu 6.06 live CD included, I liked it, and having previously worked with suse 8.0, I thought I'd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question all solved :) - dual boot and windows startup problems

Hi,

I recently bought a magazine with all about linux, with a Kubuntu 6.06 live CD included, I liked it, and having previously worked with suse 8.0, I thought I'd give it another try.
    I downloaded the install version of Kubuntu (about a week ago or so)

Having previously installed suse 8.0 on an older computer, it worked fine. However, this is a new computer and I tried the same on it a few months ago, it went completely wrong ... I could boot in linux, I couldn't acess my windows partition, I couldn't boot windows anymore ... Although I used another hard disk with a windows install on it, and saw that my windows partition on the original hard disk was intact and should've been working properly ...
    After much troubles I fixed everything, without data loss.

This time I had a complete magazine with documentation and how to do stuff, but again I have the same results ... Linux works fine (but I can't connect to internet, this put aside, it doesn't support my DSL-modem)
    but I can't boot my windows, or access it in linux.

I installed GRUB, and when I tell it to boot windows, it says I the "hall.dll" in <windows root>\system32\ is missing or corrupted, and that I should re-install it. I expanded it from the windows install cd, and it still says the same error when I want to boot windows.

I'll attach a few pictures from the error message when I want to mount my windows partition in linux, and also pictures of the data of the two files the error message refers to.

I also attached a picture of my disk in partition magic.

The difference with the older computer and this one is the type of hard disk, the newer one has SATA hard disk... I have a feeling it has something to do with this.

more info you should know:
    Kubuntu linux 6.06
    Windows XP professional SP1
    Maxtor 6L160M0 160Gb (7200 rpm) SATA

I'll also attach the menu.lst from the /boot/grub/ directory, since I believe the error lies in that, and that the GRUB loader tells windows to boot from a wrong place on the disk...

Any more info you need, tell me and I'll post it, I hope someone can help me with this, since I really want linux to work ( which it does, but my windows has to stay working too! )

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by balisong; 07-31-2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: problems solved

hmmm.... I am still a little confused about your setup.
    Ubuntu is on the first partition of the first drive. Windows in on the second partition of the first drive. Is this correct? In the partition magic image, there appears to be a second drive (called #1) with an ntfs partition.....
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    I find it strang that your fstab has the cdrom listed as /dev/hda and the ntfs partition is listed as /dev/hdc. I could be wrong but I thought /dev/hdc always refers to the cd drive while /dev/hda should be a hard drive?

Anyone care to correct me?

Peace V

I'll clear that right up;

virgil83: disk1 is another version of windows, which is on a hard disk from another computer. It's from this disk that I'm currently working on the computer

cuiq: I'm not sure about that, but I think that hda is indeed my cd-rom device, since I have a SATA hard drive. the cd-rom device is on the first IDE adapter, and the hard drive to which I refer above, which is from another computer system, isn't SATA, so it's on the second IDE adapter, so that's probably the explanation.

strange thing is, in the menu.lst there is refered to the normal hard disk as hd0 or hd1, don't remember that, but when I want to mount it in linux it always talks about sda2

Ok, I got tired of waiting for a miracle ^_^

messed around with the windows install-cd, rescue option, threw some fixmbr, fixboot and bootcfg's around, and I'm back on windows ! don't ask me what I did

Oh and before I did that, I put the GRUB on a disk, so linux is also still functional

Now If someone could tell me how to be able to access my windows partition while running linux, that would be great ^_^

edit: wow, I checked the boot.ini in windows, and it appears that all I had to do was boot windows from partition 2, and NOT from partition 1 ... meh, big problems have tiny, stupid, easy answers (this doesn't solve my remaining problem btw )

Quote Originally Posted by balisong
    Now If someone could tell me how to be able to access my windows partition while running linux, that would be great ^_^
    take a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...dowsPartitions
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

super ! it works now

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by balisong
    Ok, I got tired of waiting for a miracle ^_^

messed around with the windows install-cd, rescue option, threw some fixmbr, fixboot and bootcfg's around, and I'm back on windows ! don't ask me what I did

Oh and before I did that, I put the GRUB on a disk, so linux is also still functional

edit: wow, I checked the boot.ini in windows, and it appears that all I had to do was boot windows from partition 2, and NOT from partition 1 ... meh, big problems have tiny, stupid, easy answers (this doesn't solve my remaining problem btw )
    I see that you can give me a help.
    I have a brand new PC for a friend. She asked me to install Window$. She knows I am a Linux user and that I only use window$ when I am ibliged. so I told her that I could install window$ but she would have to have also linux. As she has a 5 yeras old child I decided to install Edubuntu.
    Hdd sda 250 G

I partoitioned the Hdd for window$ (100G).I installed window$. No problems. I had it working. I had still left 150 GB virgin for Edubuntu.
    I booted up from Edubuntu Cd and installed Edubuntu
    sda1 NTFS (100G)
    sda2 ext3 (148 G)
    sda5 swap (2G)

During the installation Edubuntu detected Window$ and installed Grub in the MBR.

After the isntallation:
    Grub is in the MBR
    Edubuntu boots and works 100%
    Window$ doens't boot, gives me a fatal error with that blue screen a la window$.

What can I do? With the rescue disk I can do FixMBR but than I wil destroy Grub. How can I put again Grub in the MBR without destroing it?
    But I think there is more on it, I need to fix something on the window$ boot. Ny the way I can access the sda1 (window$ partition) in the edubuntu and the files are all there!

You found the solution I think, can you help me?

Many thanks, Mariana

Mariana
    this should have been posted as a new topic but now you're here could you post details of /boot/grub/menu.list and /etc/fstab , we could then make more than an educated guess
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

Quote Originally Posted by towy71
    Mariana
    this should have been posted as a new topic but now you're here could you post details of /boot/grub/menu.list and /etc/fstab , we could then make more than an educated guess
    I can't

I tried the FIXMBR and Fixboot with the windows repair CD and now I can't access ANYTHING at all.
    Not even through koppix. I can't mount the hard disk!

I think I am going to start all over again (window$ install, after that Edubuntu..) for the 3rd time and come back when I have the problems and can post the files you ask.

thank you!
    Mariana

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast