Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I got a problem everytime I try to install Ubuntu but it wont install it keeps freezing on me. Can anyone help me? BTW I ordered the CD....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Its confusing.

Ok, I got a problem everytime I try to install Ubuntu but it wont install it keeps freezing on me. Can anyone help me? BTW I ordered the CD.

It would help us if you could first give some details on your computer. What kind of processor, video card, harddrive (size and type such as IDE/SATA/SCSI), motherboard if you know it, sound card or chipset, etc.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thats the problem I don't know, all i know is that its a old Dell. I also love your site I go there all the time. I was also wondering if all I need is an older version but i can't find a older version for free, I want the CD to be delivered to me house its easier for me. If you know where I can get a older version for free I will listen. But for what I know 7GB hard drive i know its not much info but I really want to get Linux old or new.

Quote Originally Posted by mikcorsi
    Thats the problem I don't know, all i know is that its a old Dell. I also love your site I go there all the time. I was also wondering if all I need is an older version but i can't find a older version for free, I want the CD to be delivered to me house its easier for me. If you know where I can get a older version for free I will listen. But for what I know 7GB hard drive i know its not much info but I really want to get Linux old or new.
    Do you have any other OSes installed on it right now, such as MS Windows? There are ways of figuring out what hardware you have. Also, you shouldn't have to worry about getting an old version. The newest Ubuntu should still work just fine for that computer. You might have to turn down some of the graphical bells and whistles, but the underlying OS should have no problem.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Well I have Windows XP and my dad says he is suprised that it works on that laptop. But when it gets to the live CD where you can explore linux it will slow down, when i try to install it freezes up. Thanks for helping me the best you can. Every one here sounds like they are in theire 30's I wonder if I am the youngest one here.

You can look at what kind of hardware you have in MS Windows by right-clicking on "My Computer" and going to Properties. The first window that should pop up is the "General" tab. Here you can tell what CPU you have and how much RAM by reading the bottom right paragraph above the "OK, Cancel, Apply" buttons.

To see your other hardware you can click the "Hardware" tab in this window and press the "Device Manager" button. This will bring up a list of everything that's connected to your computer, including harddrives, display cards, USB devices, etc. The things we're most interested in are your display card (in the "Display Adapters" section), harddrive size (in the "Disk drives" section), and your network card (under "Network adapters"). If you can list off all of that it will help us get a starting point.

Last I checked, we have a very helpful member that's 13. Age has nothing to do with how valuable a member you are. Don't worry.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Nevermind I got Suse Linux instead my problem was i ordered the DVD copy and didnt know it, and I don't got a DVD Drive. But thank you for your help.