Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey everyone, I'm completely new to the forums, and very new to linux(Recent months). So please bear with me. I'm thinking about upgrading my RAM (because sometimes I feel like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ram

Hey everyone, I'm completely new to the forums, and very new to linux(Recent months). So please bear with me.

I'm thinking about upgrading my RAM (because sometimes I feel like I'm working off 4k RAM while doing things) ... but I've got no idea how I can check to see how much I actually have already. Could someone give me the dropdown menus to go through (or commands in terminal) to find it? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Ubuntu Breezy Badger... haven't gotten to Dapper Drake yet. (workin' on it, I keep getting errors)

Code:
    will tell you how much RAM and how much Swap you have.

Just Joined!
    top - 03:10:07 up 6:44, 2 users, load average: 0.83, 0.63, 0.79
    Tasks: 78 total, 1 running, 77 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 7.6% us, 1.3% sy, 0.0% ni, 90.7% id, 0.0% wa, 0.3% hi, 0.0% si
    Mem: 256100k total, 212012k used, 44088k free, 4296k buffers
    Swap: 746980k total, 91632k used, 655348k free, 95532k cached

Thanks! But I've really got next to no idea what much of that means. (I'm learning, little by little)

Here is what I do know...
    Red = Time, how many users are on the computer.
    Blue = Tasks, all that little stuff that makes everything work right. Mouse, internet, printer (i think), all that. 1 running (physically up and visible), 77 sleeping (waiting to be used), 0 stopped (... obvious), and 0 zombie. I'd assume zombie means that they died, but are still trying to run. I dunno.

Then the percents are how much % of the CPU things are taking up.

But thats about all, where do I look to find my RAM?

Thanks agian for the help, computers are a great thing if you know how to get them to work for ya.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Mem, short for memory, probably refers to ram ^_^

Linux Enthusiast
    also you can do the "free" command,
    on the "Mem" row under "total" column it tells you how much memory you have in KB

Just Joined!
    If "Mem" is RAM I'm going to feel pretty silly. And it sounds like thats what you're saying.

Is there a specific way to tell what sort of chip I have in my computer without opening it up? I've been poking around for a way to look at my hardware through a program, but to no avail.

(thanks agian for the help, "noob" definatly explains my proficiency with linux)

yeah it is
    youve got what appears to be 256mb ram
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Just Joined!
    Woo! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Muchos Gracias.

I read somewhere that you can tack on a " -r " or something like that at the end of a command and make it show megs and gigs instead of kilobytes. Is that possible with the Free or Top command?

also- when you boot your comp up, before you get into linux/windows you'll have a black scree with white text on it. at some point it'll say "press del/f1/f2 to enter bios"
    have a look in your bios and there should be something like "advanced chip settings" or something similar depending on your make of motherboard. go into that and it should show you how fast your ship is running in Mhz.
    for example my pc (an amd chip 2400+ running at 1.7 ghz roughly equals 1700 megahertz)
    once you've found this exit without saving changes (usually f10 or exited via a menu system)
    on some pc's you have a 'splash' screen like if its made by dell or compaq it'll show a big dell/compaq banner. sometimes you can press a button (like f2) and it will clear the icon/banner and show you your chip make/speed, ie AMD k7 1400+, 1700Mhz
    all depends on your pc tho
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Be careful buying new RAM, you will need to get the matching speed for your machine. Don't mind the OS or any software, the best thing to do is look at the DIMM that's already installed in your machine and buy the same spec to add in. It will be a problem if you have 2x128MB Dimms and only two slots, as you will have to remove one. RAM is pretty cheap these days for the standard types. I just bought 1GB of PC3200 RAM (2x512MB) for ninety euro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast