Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well, as long as you create the partition where you'll put Win in free disk space, no problem, BUT Windows will step on the booting and after the install you'll ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Well, as long as you create the partition where you'll put Win in free disk space, no problem, BUT Windows will step on the booting and after the install you'll need to reconfigure GRUB. I recommend you to read about it first. Normally, the most suitable way to have both OS is to install Win first and Ubuntu later to avoid this problem.
    Jan, thanks for the info. What are those problems you talk about with NTFS? I thought FAT32 wasn't the best choice...
    Edit: yeah, here's a link with some info about GRUB and stuff http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#H...s_installation
    quite useful, I hope it works for you!

Greetings
    Tonchis

hi Tonchis
    Well for read and write into ntfs partitions is not realy safe.Sometimes you can destroy your data and that creates problems.The second thing is NTFS is not so stable like FAT32.When i was using NTFS my computer crashed down many times.
    Maybe is true that windows is not working so good with FAT32 but im sure that i can always repair a lot of stuff with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    NTFS is not so stable like FAT32.When i was using NTFS my computer crashed down many times. Maybe is true that windows is not working so good with FAT32 but im sure that i can always repair a lot of stuff with it.
    this is not true...

NTFS offers many end-user benefits related to functionality, security, stability, availability, reliability, and performance. NTFS, which was originally introduced with Microsoft Windows NT® 3.1, has always provided advanced file system features such as security, transacted operations, large volumes, and better performance on large volumes. Such capabilities are not available on either FAT16 or FAT32...

there is only one problem... NTFS can crash if you try to write in it from other OS like Linux... so.. write at your own risk...

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

yeah but for me is much better FAT32 because i write in windows partition a lot.i made FAT32 partitionon all computers in our house because is easyer for me if i have to rescue data.abaut stabylity...my computer didnt crush down yet...abaut security ..yeah NTFS is more secure but i dont use internet with windows

Just Joined!
    Oh! I see now...thanks a lot fot the info, guys. I think in my conditions I'll keep NTFS, beacause I use inet with Win and, so far, it's working fine.

Greetings
    Tonchis

Quote Originally Posted by jw9
    I want to put XP and Ubuntu on the same disk and have no idea how to accomplish this. Can someone help. Thank you.
    Hi! Well, if you want them both to exist on the same HD, you will need to partition.

Do you have any OS on the box in question? If you do, hopfully it is XP, cuz windows does not like linux!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2