Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I want to put XP and Ubuntu on the same disk and have no idea how to accomplish this. Can someone help. Thank you....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    jw9

Dual booting Windows XP and Linux Ubuntu

I want to put XP and Ubuntu on the same disk and have no idea how to accomplish this. Can someone help. Thank you.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run Ubuntu but was thinking it would give you the option to dual boot with Windows XP during the install.
    oz

Linux Newbie

xp-ubuntu

I have ubuntu installed on a seperate hard drive and ubuntu is the default os when booting but I can choose XP. Normally when installing ubuntu will re-partition your hard drive to accomodate both systems assuming the drive is large enough. Go to ubuntu.com and you can find installation instructions.

hi jw9 !!

Xp and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk ( or two hard disks..) means dual booting...
    its very easy .... procedure is same for all linux distros....

check these tutorials ...

http://www.devhood.com/tutorials/tut...utorial_id=405
    http://www.howtoforge.com/windows_linux_dual_boot

at this is link you will get multimedia ( Video ) tutorial on Dual Booting... its dual booting between Window Xp and Ubuntu........

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90811311898236

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    It's dead simple. Just make sure you format the Windows partition using FAT32. That's what I did. That allows you to easily repartition and you can also access both partitions from Ubuntu. Although that comes with some security risks, and the need to check the disk every once in a while.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jw9
    I want to put XP and Ubuntu on the same disk and have no idea how to accomplish this. Can someone help. Thank you.
    You need to first partition your HD. (split it up), so that both OS's can exist on the same drive.

First install XP. when you get to the installation options, split your HD space in half (or whatever size you want to give XP), and then install it.

After the XP is installed, slip in your Linux cd and reboot. Tell Linux to install using the available free space, and finally, make sure to install the Grub Boot loader to your MBR.

After all this you should, after rebooting, have the option to boot to XP or Linux.

Good Luck!

jw9

dual booting

Thank all of you. The dual boot now works perfectly.

Just Joined!
    Hi there, just a comment, as far as I know, WinXP works better with NTFS, I also have dual booting and though I can't access to the Win partition (beacause only Windows can read NTFS) I use Explore2fs to access the Ext3 from Win.

Greetings
    Tonchis

You can mount NTFS partition but linux can read it only.U can write in NTFS partition too but is not complete safe.read more about rw ntfs on captive
    The most simple way how to safe rw onto windows partition is to konvert NTFS to FAT32.

(comment:if you ask me which partition is better FAT32 or NTFS ill answer you :FAT32 there are a lot of problems with NTFS)

Just Joined!
    I've got Ubuntu already installed on my HD, but I was thinking about installing XP so I could run windows software that Wine can't handle (ie - Steam, StarCraft). Can I put in my XP installation CDs and partition part of the internal HD for XP without worrying about erasing anything from Ubuntu?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast