Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just formatted my hard drive (because it had all sorts of things I didn't need and I was running out of hard drive space) and reinstalled Ubuntu. I had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Installing Help

I just formatted my hard drive (because it had all sorts of things I didn't need and I was running out of hard drive space) and reinstalled Ubuntu. I had to then upgrade to Dapper Drake and in doing so I removed all the obsolete packages it talked about when it went through the cleaning phase. Well, I guess it removed the libjack package which I guess several things are dependent on and when I tried to install it again, it had to remove I think around 380 packages. I didn't want to remove those packages so I let it be. There is the problem of not having this and also when I try to do a "sudo apt-get install build-essential" it gives me an error saying "
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    build-essential: Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
    libc-dev
    Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.0) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.0) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    "
    Why will it not automatically install the dependencies that are needed? Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks.

Dependency problems usually stem from conflicting repositories. Do you have a mix of Breezy and Dapper repositories? Are you using any Debian (not Ubuntu) repositories?

I say, get a fresh list:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources

Then try again:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install build-essential

Linux Newbie
    So what's the difference between apt-get and aptitude?

hi Jeffrey2132 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2132
    So what's the difference between apt-get and aptitude?
    Aptitude is just a frontend for apt-get.

The main difference is that apt-get only installs packages with their dependencies while aptitude defaults to installing both dependent and recommended packages (you can easily change aptitude's default behaviour).

Notice that in Debian the package dependencies are classified into three categories: dependent, recommended, and suggested packages. The program you install won't work without the "dependent" packages. "Recommended" packages bring additional functions and are often useful to have as well. It's up to your own consideration if you really need to install any "suggested" packages.

If you highlight a package in aptitude and press Enter, you'll see a more detailed view of that package, including possible dependencies, suggestions, etc. To get back to the more general view, press q.

For me the reason why I prefer aptitude is the graphical (ncurses) interface that I simply find very convenient.

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

A slight correction--neither aptitude nor apt-get will consider recommended packages marked for installation unless you put the appropriate flags in.

The difference is really that if you use aptitude and then remove the package later, the package's dependencies (the ones not being used anyway) will also be removed. With apt-get, only the package you specify for removal will be removed.

More details here:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/aptitude