Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey,i'm very new to this.i have a g4 867mhz,1.5gb ram,running osx 10.4.7;have just downloaded ubuntu 6.06 desktop-powerpc.iso. i burned it,but can't figure out how to install it. any help would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ubuntu 6.06

hey,i'm very new to this.i have a g4 867mhz,1.5gb ram,running osx 10.4.7;have just downloaded ubuntu 6.06 desktop-powerpc.iso. i burned it,but can't figure out how to install it.
    any help would be appreciated,

mojack

You burned it as an iso image, right? If you did just stick it in the CD drive and reboot the computer. It will load Ubuntu as a live cd and allow you to install it. If it doesn't boot from the cd you'll have to go edit the boot order in the BIOS.

Do you allready have the hard drive partitioned? Do you know what you need to do?
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

Just Joined!

ubuntu

yes, i burned it as an iso,but i can't do anything with it. i can't find anything on the disc which looks like a macintosh install icon,it doesn't show up in the startup disk control panel. i have a 25gb partition. thanks,
    mojack

You only have one partition? Well, that's fine I suppose, you can split that up into the other partitions you'll need/want when you install it.

You need to reboot the computer with the ubuntu cd in it. As the computer is starting up it should load off the ubuntu cd. When it loads there will be two icons on the desktop. Examples and Install. Double click install and off you go.

If it doesn't boot, you'll need to alter your boot order in the bios.

For the partitions you'll probably want something like...
    Linux Swap - most people recomend 2x your memory
    / - (root) - 5 gigs will be more than enough. root is the actual ubuntu system and all the programs.
    /home - Your home directory. Use the rest of the space. This is where all your files are stored. This is NOT NECESARRY. However, if something happens to Ubuntu and you have to re-install (le gasp) at least you'll still have all your documents.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

For Macs, you need to hold down the C key at bootup in order to tell the computer to boot from CD.

Just Joined!

ubuntu/mac

I know about holding the "C" key down at startup,I tried that and it didn't work. If the disk were bootable,it would,presumably,show up in the Startup Disk control panel options window.

I followed the directions found at the Ubuntu.com website to burn the ISO with Disk Utility. It was supposed to be simple after that.

I don't know anything about the Startup Disk control panel, but I do know that on my wife's Powerbook, there's a very small window of time in which you have to press the C key. It's not during bootup... it's immediately after bootup (like half a second afterwards). If I press the C key too early or too late, it doesn't work.

To find out if you burned the ISO correctly, open up the disk. If you see one huge file, you burned it incorrectly. If you see a bunch of files and folders, you burned it correctly.