Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to install Dapper Drake on my machine for the past few days but I haven't been able to get it to work. At first I tried using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with Ubuntu install problems

I've been trying to install Dapper Drake on my machine for the past few days but I haven't been able to get it to work. At first I tried using the desktop installation disk, and the live cd worked fine under low graphics mode. When I tried installing it, however, the ubuntu screen loaded up the drivers and everything fine, but for some reason kept giving me a blank screen after the cursor in the top left corner went solid. (Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't do anything.)

So I downloaded the alternate install disc and tried installing it in OEM mode, but it gave me an error with the default linux-386 kernel. So I installed the kernel-image-2.6.15-23-386 instead. But when i created an account and rebooted, it gave me an error, something like DLLError, cant open display. Now when I boot into Ubuntu through Grub, it gives me a command line, which I dont know how to do much with. I'm running an Athlon 2800 with a Radeon 9500 Pro. Any suggestions?

ati support in linux is decidedly dodgy, so i'd reckon the problem lies with your graphics card. did you try to install the ati 3d drivers? if so i think therein lies your problem.
    when at the command line type 'which fglrx' and that will give you a path name if ati's drivers are installed and not functioning correctly.
    if nothing comes back, try 'startx' and post the error message on here.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Just Joined!
    I haven't tried installing any drivers, but when I try startx it gives me the following error:

Failed to load module "wacom" (module does not exist, 0)
    No devices detected

Fatal server error: No screeens found.

The which fglrx command doesnt do anything.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close