Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am brand new to Linux although a did have a couple courses in Solaris administration a few years ago. I downloaded both the Desktop and Server edition of Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu 6.06

I am brand new to Linux although a did have a couple courses in Solaris administration a few years ago.

I downloaded both the Desktop and Server edition of Ubuntu 6.06.

I installed the Server and then realised it was all command line. Is it hard to manage a ubuntu server through command line (remember I am a complete noob).

On the other hand am I able to install the Desktop version and still configure it to run as a web server? I realise I would lose some performace for using the Desktop GUI but I am fine with that...the PC was formerly a Win/Apache server so just switching to Ubuntu should give me more performance than before.

Thanks for the help and advice.

I'm not an Ubuntu guru, but I believe you can get the desktop on your server installation by running apt-get install ubuntu-desktop.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

thanks I'll give that a try.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    However, the most expedient method would be to install the desktop verons (you already have) ans simply install apache2, mysql, php etc.. via apt-get.

Linux Enthusiast
    Too many thumbs, sorry for the typo. "Verons" was meant to be version in reference to the above post. It's Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    However, the most expedient method would be to install the desktop verons (you already have) ans simply install apache2, mysql, php etc.. via apt-get.
    that is what I was wondering if I could do. Thanks

Linux Newbie
    You should be able to apt-get install whichever desktop environment you want. I never cared for all the stuff that ubuntu installed so I use to do a 'server' install and then install exactly what I wanted or needed including just a base gnome install so I didn't end up with openoffice and gaim and yada yada...

Quote Originally Posted by deanlinkous
    You should be able to apt-get install whichever desktop environment you want. I never cared for all the stuff that ubuntu installed so I use to do a 'server' install and then install exactly what I wanted or needed including just a base gnome install so I didn't end up with openoffice and gaim and yada yada...
    I don't suppose...me being a Linux noob and all...that you would have a link to a good tutorial to install a desktop this way do you...or even soem exapmples of using apt-get.

Linux Newbie
    Well since you are a noob

Here is some reading
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/de...ml#s-apt-usage
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...pt-get.en.html

You could try these commands if you wish, at your own risk. I am not running ubuntu so I have not tried these but they should work. should!

TO INSTALL THE XUBUNTU DESKTOP WITH XFCE
    (if you are running as root)
    apt-get update
    apt-get install x-window-system xserver-xorg gdm xubuntu-desktop

(not running as root)
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install x-window-system xserver-xorg gdm xubuntu-desktop

TO INSTALL GNOME CORE - about as lite as you can get gnome
    (if you are running as root)
    apt-get update
    apt-get install x-window-system xserver-xorg gdm gnome-core

(not running as root)
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install x-window-system xserver-xorg gdm gnome-core

This is great! Thanks very much.

I have done some reading on the ubuntuforums.org and learned that GNOME is the default desktop for Ubuntu and that my specs are indeed to slow for this but on the other hand XFCE should run decently...it is only a test server after all. I'll mostly only be using it to test software upgrades and test configurations before apllying to my web server.

Thanks again,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast