Find the answer to your Linux question:
ive just made a root acct so that my login acct wouldnt have the root previledges... what happened after my reboot was now i couldnt access my window$ partitions which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

help! messed my system

ive just made a root acct so that my login acct wouldnt have the root previledges... what happened after my reboot was now i couldnt access my window$ partitions which unfortunately is where i store all my files even in linux... i tried logging as root but ubuntu wouldnt permit logging as administrator on the login prompt... im trying to give back all the previledges that my user acct has had before cause maybe it'll solve the problem, but the problem is i cant run the user account admin programs cause it would freeze up after i put my admin password... how should i do it manually using the terminal... pls help tnx in advance

To mount your windows partition on startup you need to edit fstab. Open terminal and...
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    This shows you all the drives and media devices that are mounted on startup. Google "mounting windows partition ubuntu" to see what you need to add. I can't tell you exactly because I don't know the hard drive and partition location, file format, etc.

To allow root to login you need to edit the login preferences. In gnome it's System > Administration > Login Window Preferences > Security. Then check the "Allow local administrator to login." box.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

now that poses another problem cause theres no entry of login window prefences in my system menu... many of the menus there are gone

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Applications > Accessories > Alacarte Menu Editor

You just brought me to my next point. If it works allready and you don't know exactly what you're doing, don't **** with it.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

My default login gives me all the root previledges. Since in what i have read from books and forums this this not advisable, i made a root acct and just a normal acct. i didnt know that the system would also change the settings on the way my regular acct would work. all i took out was accesses that would enable my regular acct to change settings on the system. so bear with me if im not a linux geek cause im just trying to learn this OS

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Root_is_evil
    ive just made a root acct so that my login acct wouldnt have the root previledges... what happened after my reboot was now i couldnt access my window$ partitions which unfortunately is where i store all my files even in linux... i tried logging as root but ubuntu wouldnt permit logging as administrator on the login prompt... im trying to give back all the previledges that my user acct has had before cause maybe it'll solve the problem, but the problem is i cant run the user account admin programs cause it would freeze up after i put my admin password... how should i do it manually using the terminal... pls help tnx in advance
    You want to be able to log in as Root? Just go to System>Administration>Login Window, Click on the Security Tab, and check the box that say's "Allow Local System Administrator Login". Then go to System>Administrator>Users and Groups, double-click on Root and enter your root password. Reboot and login as Root. BAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Root_is_evil
    ive just made a root acct so that my login acct wouldnt have the root previledges...
    WHAT? Your "login Account" does not have root privledges by default! You do not need to create a root account so that your login account does not have root priveledges!