Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Since there are some things that need to be downloaded in Kubuntu through the repositories for mp3's and videos to be playable, I had the following problem; My dsl ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

downloading and installing codecs - Kubuntu

Hello,

Since there are some things that need to be downloaded in Kubuntu through the repositories for mp3's and videos to be playable, I had the following problem;

My dsl modem doesn't support internet, and for the time being I'm not getting another one. So I was wondering, are there ways to download the necessary files (like faad, ffmpeg, gstreamer, lame, libxine, sox, mjpegtools) through windows, and then install them once in Kubuntu?

If so;
    -where to download
    -how to install them all in linux? (this is the most important one, since I'm no Konsole wonder )

Thanks in advance !

Linux Newbie
    i would suggest you download a dvd image of kubuntu and then add it to the repositorys in synaptic how can a modem not support the internet?you probably need to configure it

Quote Originally Posted by markharding557
    i would suggest you download a dvd image of kubuntu and then add it to the repositorys in synaptic how can a modem not support the internet?you probably need to configure it
    Yeah.,your modem is FOR accessing the net! If you have a seperate HD, say for storage, you could download the wanted packages to that Drive, then log on to ubuntu and install them. The only draw-back is that some of the wanted packages will encounter dependency issues. You could run into problems there, unless you know everything that is needed for a given App.

Afterthought.,your modem...what you meant to say is that in ubuntu, your modem is not working, correct? What type of modem is it? If it is a Winmodem, you're screwed!

Meh
    what I ment to say was: "linux doesn't support my modem" but I was kinda in a hurry ^_^

It's a "speedtouch pc" dsl modem, which isn't supported in linux unless I, according to someone I know, download a program for it, which only works for 2.4 kernel, which means I have to recompile my kernel to 2.4 and stuff ... so I'll wait till I move to another place, where I'll have different internet, or I'll have to buy a new modem, which will be a bit too expensive at the moment.

The packages that I needed to download (as listed in my first post) are all on my hard drive, but I can't open a single one in linux ... They all give some error message about de-compressing methods and stuff, and then I can choose from a list, but none of the options works...
    only a few ones work, and when I open them I get a bunch of files, of which I have no idea how to use ...

blah !

edit:

Here's a link to a site of my modem, for those who are interested:

http://www.belgacom.be/private/en/js..._ad_wrdp_pcnic
    It's like a really dumb modem, and the most expensive one too, so they kinda screwed us when we bought our modem ... They could've given one that was less expensive and that worked with more OS's. Since this one doesn't even have a driver for winXP. So whenever I need to reinstall, I need to download the drivers for winXP, on internet ... which doesn't work at that moment, since I need said drivers to connect to the internet. (I've made a backup of them now, don't worry ;p)

edit2:

Oh, and I don't have a dvd-writer, otherwise that solution would've been great!