Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need to re-partition Linux

I'm trying to repartition my internal HD so I can free-up 5GB in order to install Windows XP. What do I need to shrink my Linux partition 5GB? I have GParted and the GParted live CD, but on GParted it doesn't allow me to shrink my /dev/hda1, which is currently partitioned entirely for Ubuntu. With the live CD, i try to boot but all it says is "hw_random not detected," or something like that. Any good + safe apps available to shrink my Linux partition?

backup?

You probably already knew this, but before you move any partitions, make sure you have your stuff backed up. I recently moved a bunch of mine around and almost lost everything.

have you tried QTparted? or Partimage?

I'm new at this, but I've used qtparted and it seems to work pretty well. Partimage isn't to move things around, it's copies your partitions, but it could be useful as well.

hi kbsuperstar !!

duojet is correct ... QTparted is for handling partitions and PartImage is for copy.. like Norton Ghost...
    well !! i dont recommend you to shrink linux partition.. if you wanna do it then atleast back up all your data... best way is "install windows first and then go for linux"...
    you already installed linux, after installing windows, you might struck in dual booting...
    good luck !!!

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Are you in fact using the GParted Live CD as a boot CD? I just ask that because I made that mistake. Are you setting your system BIOS to boot from the GParted Live CD during startup? Like I say, it's just that I made the same mistake. It has to be such that the two drives are operating separately.

Otherwise, it could just be a "bad burn" of the CD. I would suggest that you re-download the GParted ISO and use a program called ISO Recorder, free on ZDnet, to burn the CD. ISO Recorder is a very easy program.

Is it your intention to double-boot with the Windoze? I ask that because I myself am trying to "enslave" Windoze to Ubuntu using VMWare Player, such that I don't have to double-boot, but rather run Windoze as a VMWare Player Program. I would really like to know how this goes for you.

It could even concievably be difficult to install Windoze to the partition once the partition is created, because if you boot up using the Windoze CD as boot, it may very well want to use the whole hard drive. Again, I say this because I'm trying much the same thing. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but those are the problems I've run into trying to install Windoze "under" or "inside" Ubuntu. I have been mostly looking for help at

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=473245

and I'm really interested to know how this works out for you.

What I've been told, true or not, is that it's possible to create a "virtual machine" inside Ubuntu, and it's my hope to create this "virtual machine" and then run it inside Ubuntu. The main issue is to see if it can be done for free, rather than shell out for software that creates virtual machines.

Like I say, I'm really interested to know how this works out for you.

Ok, I'm trying to make a small partition (which I did successfully with GParted after booting with the Ubuntu live CD) so I can install windows XP onto it. After this, I want to have the option of booting into windows whenever I want, but have Ubuntu boot as the default OS. I need windows 'cause Ubuntu can't recognize my network printer and Wine doesn't suit my gaming needs.

Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this now that I have 5GB of free space partitioned?

install windows xp
    xp will kill your grub but you can fix that
    boot into ubuntu live cd and type
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

[QUOTE=
    xp will kill your grub but you can fix that
    [/QUOTE]

This is for double-boot, right? How does one fix the grub? I'd like to know that before possibly losing my whole Ubuntu config.

Thanks.

hi cautious
    reinstalling boot loader can fix a problem
    it is safe

So one should stay in the live cd version of the Ubuntu installer, and do something like " sudo apt-get install boot loader " or " get install grub "?

hi cautious
    yes after installing xp you should boot into Ubuntu live cd and than open a termenal and type
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
    that will install a bootloader