Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by jan1024188 you have Ubuntu on your flash drive right?Ubuntu is a linux and it works on linux partition af course No, I have Ubuntu on a USB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    you have Ubuntu on your flash drive right?Ubuntu is a linux and it works on linux partition af course
    No, I have Ubuntu on a USB external Hard Disk drive. NOT a flash drive.

ok than you dont need linux partition on flash drive.Im running knoppix from flash drive and is on FAT32 partition

Just Joined!
    If I understand the instructions correctly, when I run that executable file, there are supposed to be FILES that show up where I tell the file to put them, right? Not happening! Nothing's showing up.

hi yanqui !!

i think there is confusion between you two.... you have external USB HARDDISK not flash drive...

connect your usb harddisk and boot up through Ubuntu CD... on terminal type this command
    $ sudo fdisk -l { this is small "L"}
    check out what name your usb drive got... like /dev/sda1 or /dev/hdb1 etc...
    click on Install icon on desktop..... install Ubuntu on usb drive ( select the usb device name )
    it will install GRUB (boot loader) by default...

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    That's what I was doing. At this point when I try to install anew, thinking that maybe I missed telling it something, I get an error message that it cannot create a file system.

ALSO I read on the web that if the USB hard drive is not formatted in NTFS, BIOS won't recognize it.

It that true to the best of your knowledge?

Just Joined!
    Wow--three months later, and I've picked up on this all over again. I have Ubuntu loaded on the external hard drive. I have gotten the grub to load--the grub is on the EXTERNAL drive, NOT on the master boot record on the internal hard drive. Now--I get to this point:

Booting 'Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-386'
    root (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
    Press any key to continue...

Just Joined!
    Wow--three months later, and I've picked up on this all over again. I have Ubuntu loaded on the external hard drive. I have gotten the grub to load--the grub is on the EXTERNAL drive, NOT on the master boot record on the internal hard drive. Now--I get to this point:

Booting 'Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-386'
    root (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
    Press any key to continue...

What has not happened here?

keep Externel disk connected and boot up from Ubuntu CD.
    in gnome-terminal, execute this command
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    post output here. post the contents of External disk's device.map file too. its in /boot/grub folder of External Disk.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    keep Externel disk connected and boot up from Ubuntu CD.
    This I can do.
    in gnome-terminal, execute this command
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    post output here.
    Didn't take long to lose me. Do I select "recover an installation" and execute the command from the blue screen with the word "recover" in the upper right corner?
    post the contents of External disk's device.map file too. its in /boot/grub folder of External Disk.
    okay, if I can't get ON the drive, how do I get TO that folder?

I'm REALLY new to linux, all this is a little over my head. I realize that this is an extensive operation for a newbie to be undertaking, but if I don't do it this way, I'll never get a linux installation I can actually use.

Just Joined!
    I got to a shell, which was a blue screen with a white bar at the bottom with sh-3.1#, where I typed sudo fdisk -l, using the letter L. the result was

Cannot open /proc/partitions

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast