Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by devils_casper you can install GRUB in external disk anytime and windows fixing is possible through windows 98 bootable floppy. casper laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    you can install GRUB in external disk anytime and windows fixing is possible through windows 98 bootable floppy.

casper
    laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. I may have a cd that will do it. haven't taken the time yet to inventory the cd's I have.

Whatever would I do if I lived in a perfect world?

Just Joined!
    I have semi-success. I can boot, successfully, into Ubuntu from the USB drive. I can boot, successfully, into Windows with the usb drive disconnected, and the system doesn't even look for the linux. NOW--I can't seem to get my network card to work. When I had the grub installed on the mbr, the internet connection worked. Now it's not working, and it configured when I installed it.

Network Card has nothing to do with MBR or GRUB. try to configure it again.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Network Card has nothing to do with MBR or GRUB. try to configure it again.

casper
    When I go into the Network settings, I don't get to specify a gateway. With tcpip in Windows, I have to tell it which gateway to use. It found the dns server, but I really don't see much to configure here.

hmmm..... i dont have much experience in Networking stuff. i suggest you start a new thread for this problem. a lot of Members are very good in this field.

casper

Just Joined!
    hmmm..... i dont have much experience in Networking stuff. i suggest you start a new thread for this problem. a lot of Members are very good in this field.

casper
    Got it--sitting here typing from Firefox via Ubuntu on a usb hard drive connected to my laptop.

Man, I feel GOOD!

And no, I have no idea what I did. I just rebooted; that seems to solve a lot of problems, whatever OS you run.

lol ! Magic Hands !!
    congrats man !

casper

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5