Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ubuntu usb ext. hard drive

I was able to install Ubuntu on an external hard drive that connects using a USB connection. This is on a laptop which has BIOS level support for USB, and I have selected USB device as the first boot choice. HOWEVER--I don't think the GRUB ever installed anywhere; when I go to boot, it goes right to windows XP, with no option to select the other device.

Windows doesn't recognize this device anymore; it's there in hardware manager, but in windows explorer it's not.

I am VERY new at this, so just saying that I need to add a line or two in some file that's on the drive I can't access is not going to tell me what I need to know.

Remember, I cannot at this point just get to that drive.

Any ideas?

hi Yangui
    IF you have usb support great...but that is not enaugh
    check this site
    http://syslinux.zytor.com/index.php
    its like a bootloader which supports booting from usb(i hvave knoppix on usb stick key and usb support too.. so im using syslinux...it works fine)

i hope that helps

I didn't see anything at that site about USB drives.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    take a look on this site
    http://www.howudune.com/knoppix.php
    Prom here i got instructions how to download syslinux and instal it on USB stick key

That looks like it may work!

I'll try it at lunch and get back to you.

ok let us know what will happend

I don't know how far I'll get with it, since when I plug the drive in, Windows doesn't recognize it in windows explorer. It shows up in the hardware manager, but since it's got a file system windows doesn't understand, windows doesn't know how to display it.

I've got the files extracted, but I cannot navigate to the file on the drive where I"m supposed to modify something, because windows doesn't recognize that file system. I'd have to do that on a LInux machine, which I don't have.

I know there's something really basic missing here, I just don't know what it is.

try downloading and booting into live CD like KNOPPIX.U can run it without installation.

didn't think about that--that'd allow me to get to that file!

coming up--update on that.